Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you cut the cord the second time (to make it smaller) how short do you cut it? And do you have to leave it tied off with a clamp? And WHY can't I remember this??? This is my FOURTH child!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chantelhayes
When you cut the cord the second time (to make it smaller) how short do you cut it? And do you have to leave it tied off with a clamp? And WHY can't I remember this??? This is my FOURTH child!

Why would you be cutting it twice? As a midwife I cut it once only and the band/tie/clip (I've used them all but use bands now) is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the baby's skin (to allow for shrinkage).

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
When I cut it the second time I cut it down to about two inches and tied it with braided embroidery floss.

Wendi

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by metromidwife
Why would you be cutting it twice? As a midwife I cut it once only and the band/tie/clip (I've used them all but use bands now) is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the baby's skin (to allow for shrinkage).
For all three of my previous births, the cord was orginally clamped and cut twice. Once to seperate us and once to shorten it.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking it was about that long!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I only it cut it after the placenta delivered and it was about that short. He had a clamp but I think I might do string next time.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've read some different opinions and one that I felt really GOOD about said no cutting of the cord closer than 7 inches from the baby's body... it had to do with the possible negative effects of introducing sharp metal scissors into the baby's aura (of course, if you don't buy that, then ignore this comment!).

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have noticed that leaving the cord a bit longer (5" or so) that it dries up even faster and often falls off in three days. It's counterintuitive to leave it so long, but it actually works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.