Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I hope you're all up to offering some opinions, or telling me what you do with your children.<br><br>
DS is 9 months, so I don't have to worry about this quite yet.<br><br>
I'm concerned about times like Christmas, when all of our family will be sitting around a table, and everyone except DP, DS and I will be gnawing on turkey bones. How do I teach him that this isn't what we do <i>without</i> angering relatives, especially my brother and SIL who have two kids around the same age as DS? I worry that this might strain the relationship with our families, because DS may say something to one of their children that will scare them ("Did you know you're eating an animal?" or something). To tell the truth I wouldn't be terribly upset if DS said something that got the other kids not wanting to eat meat, but my MIL would then be furious with us!<br><br>
What's the best way to educate kids? I want to be honest with him and give him the facts without scaring the crap out of him, and I need him to be careful what he says around others. Can I expect that out of a young child?<br><br>
winn

·
Registered
396 Posts
honestly, i've never been too worried about offending meat-eaters in my family by telling the truth. if they get defensive or angry that is the most telling response they could give. however, just as i don't like my food choices brought up at the dinner table, i have taught my children to refrain from discussing the food as it's being eaten.

·
Registered
240 Posts
DH, DC, and I are the only vegans in our family. My kids have asked "how come we don't eat meat but Oma and Opa do" - that kind of stuff. We just tell them that everyone makes their own choices as to what they eat (we tell them this regarding junk food too) and that it was DH and I choice not to eat meat. We say we would rather see the fish swimming in the pond than eat them, the beautiful birds flying, etc...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts