Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With DS, I actually had an U/S at 6 weeks (!) because I was with a crazy patronizing OB who thought I was more high-risk than I was (I changed providers shortly afterwards). This time, I think I'm going with a midwife I just met a few months ago and just made an appt for when I'm 7w... just for bloodwork. It feels like a long time to wait to confim that HCG levels are ok.

But I'm just obsessing, right? I know most providers don't see you until 8w.

My wanting to go soon is probably b/c I want to talk with someone about this since right now it's just me and DH who know and we're not telling anyone until I'm though the first trimester.

So, how soon are you all going to the doctor?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I happened to see my doctor for my annual GYN exam (pap smear, etc.) at 14DPO and after visual examination he asked me if my period was late... that was my first inkling that I was pregnant. But I won't see him again until 8 weeks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I went in for Beta's at 12, 15 and 19 DPO. I also had an intake appointment with the holy grail of bloodwork on 19 dpo.

I am having an Ultrasound at 6 weeks 1 day (Monday). But my first appointment with my OB is at 8 weeks 1 day.

I think 8 weeks is the norm unless you hada prior history of a chemical/miscarriage and/or you are high risk and/or you went through some type of fertility treatment.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I haven't even called my doctor yet. Last time she wanted to see me right away and got me on a monthly appointment schedule from the get-go. I found this totally pointless and was happy when I transferred to midwife/birthing centre care at about 18 weeks. Then the appointments were every 6 weeks until the last month (then weekly) and much more useful - 1.5 hour long chats about everything under the sun, I loved it.

This time I think I'll skip the doctor and just wait till my midwife is ready for me. I called the birthing centre right away to get on the October list and I expect that my first appointment will be around 10-12 weeks.

A few members of my family think this is weird and won't believe the pregnancy is real till someone "official" confirms it but whatev...

·
Registered
680 Posts
My doctor scheduled me for 8.5 weeks for just a physical exam and chat, and said she'd see me at 12 weeks for a heartbeat check--how can I wait that long!!!?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I went yesterday (8w1d) and it was a super mellow visit. She did a quick internal (I was feeling something funky on my cervix - which turned out to just be scar tissue) and a dating ultrasound (see picture sticky). My 3.5 year old came with us and was SO EXCITED to see the baby, so that alone was worth doing the US.

I go back at 12 weeks.

I will probably see her kind of often because I had gestational diabetes and am already having some high numbers (I test my blood sugar).
I'm risked out of a HB in Colorado. I'm working with a naturopath and acupuncturist to keep my numbers under control. I really don't want insulin this time around.

There are lots of ladies that don't see anyone until 12ish weeks and many others who waive the US. I think it's totally a personal thing.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm planning on my first appointment being around 20 weeks. I don't have a family doctor or an OB and am not really interested in either, but since I will be birthing in a hospital, I need to go over my birth plan and all that. So yeah, around 20 weeks, unless I have something I need checked out before then.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
A few members of my family think this is weird and won't believe the pregnancy is real till someone "official" confirms it but whatev...
LOL. My mom didn't seek care with my little sister until she was 6-7 months pregnant. She walked into the clinic, said she was pregnant and was looking to see a doctor. The receptionist asked her if someone had "diagnosed" her as pg...my mom said..."no, but if I'm not pg then I must be dying, so I'll see a doctor anyways."

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magali View Post
LOL. My mom didn't seek care with my little sister until she was 6-7 months pregnant. She walked into the clinic, said she was pregnant and was looking to see a doctor. The receptionist asked her if someone had "diagnosed" her as pg...my mom said..."no, but if I'm not pg then I must be dying, so I'll see a doctor anyways."
That's pretty funny!

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I saw my fertility doc for a 6w ultrasound...I saw the first midwives at 5 weeks for an intake with a nurse, but the midwife didn't want me back until 10 weeks.

The other midwives wanted me to come in between 8 and 10 weeks....that seems to be the range. They want to see you once in the first tri, more if something is up, and a few times in the second, and then it gets a little busier, or so it seems.

·
Registered
183 Posts
With #1 I started out seeing a CNM group and they didn't want me to come in for my first visit until 12 weeks. I ending up going in at 11.5w. At this time she couldn't find a heart beat so I ended up having an ultrasound and the baby was fine. I have a tilted uterus, so apparently it takes longer to find the heart beat.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
I THINK I'm going in at 8 weeks. When I called to make an appointment and gave my LMP, they said that the March schedule isn't available until next week. So I know they want me to come in in March.

Navigating an IHS-funded health care system when you haven't grown up in it can be very, very confusing. They just assume that everyone calling their appointment line has done it a million times before.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magali View Post
CLASSIC. I can just picture this big ol' pregnant woman getting asked if she had been "diagnosed."

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by prettyuglybefore View Post
I went yesterday (8w1d) and it was a super mellow visit. She did a quick internal (I was feeling something funky on my cervix - which turned out to just be scar tissue) and a dating ultrasound (see picture sticky). My 3.5 year old came with us and was SO EXCITED to see the baby, so that alone was worth doing the US.

I go back at 12 weeks.

I will probably see her kind of often because I had gestational diabetes and am already having some high numbers (I test my blood sugar).
I'm risked out of a HB in Colorado. I'm working with a naturopath and acupuncturist to keep my numbers under control. I really don't want insulin this time around.

There are lots of ladies that don't see anyone until 12ish weeks and many others who waive the US. I think it's totally a personal thing.
I had GD before, too. Can I ask how often you're testing to get a sense of whether it's already starting back up? I'm working on my diet already to avoid insulin (I was able to last time).

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am going in when I'm 8 or 9 weeks depending on if my Midwife is on vacation with her kiddos at the time.

I think I kinda decided to hire the midwife and just have her sit in the corner so I can basically do a UC.

I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow so March 14th is our tentative appointment.

I am excited for it though....

But i have to
at the "diagnosing" a pregnant women. My friends keep asking me that too.....like I don't *KNOW* I am pregnant when my period is a week late, sore nipples, and 430958409 positive pregnancy tests?

Definitely makes me chuckle!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huggingmama View Post
I had GD before, too. Can I ask how often you're testing to get a sense of whether it's already starting back up? I'm working on my diet already to avoid insulin (I was able to last time).
I'm testing 4 times a day - fasting and 2 hours post-meal. I'm doing pretty well during the day but my fasting numbers have been a little high (92-97). My hope is that once I can eat a good chunk of protein before bed they will come down. I'm just having a lot of trouble eating pure protein without some carbs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went in to see my family practitioner as soon as I got the positive at-home pregnancy test because I have chronic migraines so I needed to get an Rx for medications that I can take during pregnancy. We didn't even do a blood test then (she offered, but I figured, what's the point running up lab bills?). My first official prenatal appointment isn't until I'm 8-9 weeks. Although I'm just starting to consider using a midwife, so I might be seen earlier if I choose a different provider.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I'm going to my first appointment with the midwife at 10 weeks. I'm soooooo excited. We should hopefully be able to hear the heartbeat by that time!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by prettyuglybefore View Post
I'm testing 4 times a day - fasting and 2 hours post-meal. I'm doing pretty well during the day but my fasting numbers have been a little high (92-97). My hope is that once I can eat a good chunk of protein before bed they will come down. I'm just having a lot of trouble eating pure protein without some carbs.
It's a good idea to start to test now... I need to start. When I had GD before I had to test 1 hour post-meal, which I think made me very strict--maybe too strict--about diet. At the very end of my pregnancy I realized that some people did the 2 hour test and I probably should have been doing that.

Hard to get the protein w/o carbs? Is it because of morning sickness?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.