Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend really wants to have a VBAC but got pregnant only 3 months after her c-section. Her doc says she has to have another c-section this time. Any one know anything about this? or have experience having a VBAC very soon after a c-section?<br><br>
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
The research I've seen indicates best results when there's at least 24 months between the births (ie, kids 24 months apart... you can be pregnant for some of that; so wait till 1st is at least 15 months). Even 18 months has better results than less time between births...<br><br>
I don't remember what the actual amount of difference in risk of rupture is, though.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In the Midwifery Today issue #57 "Cesarean Prevention/VBAC" there is an article that says "A recent study showed that rates of uterine rupture are 3.0 times higher when the trial of labor is less than 18 months after the cesarean, suggesting that good scar integrity requires adequate time for healing before the next pregnancy (Shipp et al.2001)".<br><br>
I had a friend that became pregnant 7 months after her cesarean and she went on to have a VBAC (with an epidural and pitocin, no less) so it can be done, but might be much harder since she will have to fight her Dr. on it. Or change Drs completely.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I agree a lot has to do w/ why she had her c/s and how she has healed. I have heard of moms having only 12 mos between births and have a VBAC, but at least 18 is reccomended. Mine will be almost 19 mos apart if all goes well. I hope she gets the birth she wants! A MW may be more open to her having a VBAC now than a DR.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I had a VBAC 13.5 months after my c-section birth. I asked about the timeframe and my OB practice was not worried about it. I was adament however about not being induced. I did go into labor on my own, and had a quick (less than 4 hours) labor and unmedicated delivery.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
my sister got pregnant when her firstborn was 4 months old. he was born by csection after fetal heartrate was dropping and not coming back up.<br><br>
Her second son was born vbac. They are , like the last poster, about 13.5 months apart and the ob wasn't concerned.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 15-month old son was born c/s. I am 22 weeks pregnant with #2. I had also heard that because of the short time frame that I would probably have to have another c/s. When I spoke with my OB practice the docs were very supportive of me trying a VBAC. Gave me all the pros of VBAC and all the cons of a repeat c/s. One doc even thought I was crazy for even thinking of planning a repeat c/s. From some of the OB horror stories I've heard, I feel that since I've been blessed with such a supportive group of docs I should give it my all and try for the VBAC. But now I found out I have placental previa and am starting to think my body is rejecting the idea of a vaginal birth EVER!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts