Mothering Forum banner

How soon is too soon to have a Vbac after a c-section

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  altarflame 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new here and wondering if anyone has been in a similar position.

I had a c-section 14 months ago.. dilated to 10 cent. pushed for 2 hours.. My daughter would not descend, apparently her head was cocked to one side.

I am now pregnant again and have the choice of VBAC or repeat C-section.
has anyone attempted a VBAC only after 17 months from the previous C-section... Is my scar still too fresh.. If anyone could help I would be most thanksful

Caramai

#2 ·
well if you were to get pg now you will be 23 months post c/s right?
most OB's will recomend 18-24 months between c/s and the next birth.

I think it all depends on how you feel mentaly and physically(this was the advice I was given from a trusted MW anyway).

btw I am planning a UBAC for August (17mo post c/s)..I feel great

#3 ·
The usual I have heard is 20 - 24 months between births is best. I know I was 22 months between births last pregnancy & the OBs were OK with me going for a VBAC. As I was told at my first appointment, if you're planning on having a lot of kids, you're better off trying for a VBAC, because of scarring issues with repeat c-sections. (My SIL has three kids & would love a 4th, but after 3 c-sections she's been warned she cannot have another.)

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramia
3I am not pregnant again and have the choice of VBAC or repeat C-section.
Hi! Did you mean to say that you are "now" pregnant?

I also think 18-24 months is prefered by OBs, but I know of people who have successfully VBAC'd prior to that. I'm sure they'll speak up!
welcome
alison

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagesgirl
(My SIL has three kids & would love a 4th, but after 3 c-sections she's been warned she cannot have another.)
Has your SIL consulted with a different OB? My mom was told that three was the maximum back in the 60's. But, my OB is willing to go to four, and I suspect it varies from doctor to doctor.

#7 ·
My OB will do up to five csections, she also likes for patients to have at least 24 months between them. She said in patients that she personally has seen that had uterine problems (not necessarily rupture, but when the uterine wall thins out really bad) is in patients who had cesareans closer together.

#9 ·
I have friends on the other board I am on who have had VBACs 13 months after a previous section. Everything was fine. They homebirthed, and in several cases, UC'd because no midwives there would attend a VBAC....some of the babies were bigger than the ones the sections were done for! All other things being normal, I don't see any problem with it. Definitely go for the VBAC. Many studies have been done which show that the VBACs have the best outcomes, better babies, and shorter Postpartums for the moms, and Better breastfeeding...I would have a doula present if you were to try to VBAC in a hospital. Sounds like your section could have been avoided. If the mom has an epidural, the inability of the mother to be upright to help the baby position itself better can lead to an otherwise unnecessary section....

#13 ·
24 months is what I've read, I was 23 months and a hba2c.

I just have to say your first birth was nearly identical to mine, labored for hours on pit, 2 1/2 hours pushing, tried to uncock the tilted head, never decended. Of course what can one expect being strapped to an EFM continuously and not helping gravity by walking or standing
:

As for the mulitple child and muliple c/s thing -- when I read that after every c/s past number 3 your chance of uterine rupture while pregnant increase exponentally, I put my foot down. I could live with loosing my uterus and not having anymore children, but I could not live with the risk of loosing a baby not ready to be born. My OB could not 'allow' me to have more children, the office policy was 3 c/s per woman. The office tried with my 2nd to get me to sign tubal ligation papers. With my dd, they terminated my care for reasons of none compliance -- so I had a mw hba2c.

The risk of vbacing with a fresher scar may be better than the risks carried by a repeat c/s. The absolute worse that can happen, your uterus ruptures big and you have a c/s with a hysterectomy (sp). The absolute worse with a repeat c/s is you hemorrage have a hysterectomy. Oh, death would be the worst.

#14 ·
I know someone who vbac'd 17m after the c/s. The med literature says that if the mother becomes pg before the c/s has healed (6-9m), there is double+ the chance of rupture. So, more than 18m apart is ideal, but it's still possible before that. I would not attempt to do it at home.

#17 ·
The only thing my OB told me was to wait about a year to conceive again. As it turns out, it took longer than we expected and DD and this baby will be about 3 years and a couple months apart.

I'd definitely plan for the VBAC. There are so many risks to any c/s but especially a repeat c/s.

You might check out some of the books on the VBAC book thread.

Good luck!!!

#23 ·
My first two kids were c/s that were only 13 months apart. Then 8 months after the second surgery, I had a second trimester miscarriage at home by myself that involved two days of labor pains, my water breaking halfway through, etc etc.

My third viable child was born by ercs 18 months ago, and I'm planning a vba3c at a birth center near a hospital - I'm already 36w4d.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.