Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is 12 days old and I started taking domperidone when she was exactly one week old. 5 days later I'm not seeing any increase, in fact as she's gotten used to what a full tummy is supposed to feel like (didn't start supplementing until day 5) she's increased the amount of supplement she takes. I'm supplementing at the breast and pumping after most feeds and not seeing any change. I ordered Goat's Rue which should be coming tomorrow. Any idea how long before I will know if that is working as well?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi MissyLissa~ I'm cheering you on and hoping you see an increase soon!! How is your DD's latch/suck? My LC emphasized how important it is to have good milk transfer/emptying while taking Domperidone, in order for it to work well. Also, you are still very much in the supply building stage, so I'm hoping with continued nursing and pumping you will see an increase soon.
Also, make sure you are taking care of yourself mentally and physically. IME, anxiety/stress has a big effect on milk production and let-down. Good luck!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her latch and suck are really good. I saw an IBCLC last week and she confirmed that everything looked good. I had supply issues with DS too and there were so many factors working against us that I hoped that my low supply was just a result of his problems but here I am with a much better nurser with about the same amount of milk. I tried fenugreek and reglan with him and neither made any difference for me so here's hoping the dom and goat's rue do something!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
How much are you taking? My midwives said to give it at least two weeks. I take 160mg over the day.

Right now I'm taking 90 mg three times a day. I'd like to start taking 120mg. Is it more effective to take 4 pills 3x a day or 3 pills 4x a day?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Dr. Jack Newman says to take up to 40mg four times a day. This is the protocol my midwives follow, with varying dosage. I have severe low supply, so I take the max. I do breakfast, lunch, dinner, and then when DD wakes to nurse at about 130am.
Check out his site for more dom info ...
http://www.nbcionline.org/index.php?...tion&Itemid=17

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristi96 View Post
Right now I'm taking 90 mg three times a day. I'd like to start taking 120mg. Is it more effective to take 4 pills 3x a day or 3 pills 4x a day?

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Where did you get the dom? Stuff from canada worked well for me, stuff from internet didn't. More milk special blend has goat's rue. I was on 160 dom (split over 3 doses) and MMSB increased my supply on top of it.

My baby is older and eating solids so I'm down to 120 mg a day. I tried 110 mg and had to use donor milk again, so I'm back up to 120 mg.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my dom from a local compounding pharmacy (and amazingly my insurance covers 50%!). And according to the label it's the real stuff, not the generic motillium. Would that be the difference in why the dom from one source didn't work for you? Well, it's been almost two weeks and I'm still not seeing an increase. Perhaps I should call my midwife and talk about increasing the dose? I've been on the goat's rue for about a week now and since I started that I've started feeling more tingling sensations around feeding times so that's got to be a sign that something is changing in there. At least I hope!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I do 30mg 4 times a day. I have gone from needing 12+ oz of supplement to not needing any at all. it took a few weeks but it did eventually happy. just remember to trust your supply and that you still have to be "asking" your body for the milk you are expecting.. so nurse nurse nurse

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.