Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure about this, this is the first time experiencing them so early. I've had them about 2 weeks prior to labour with my first two, but they were much more painful.
With this one it's more like this: I walk a lot (I don't drive), so I'm used to it. But lately sometimes MINUTES after leaving my apt. I get these super annoying side pains (the kind you get when you run?), and painless (but very uncomfortable) contractions as well. They're by no means regular, but I feel my stomach getting HARD and contract. Coupled with the side pains it's very unpleasant and makes walking hard. When I sit down and rest, they go away.
Do others experience it too? I'm guessing there is nothing I can do?

· Registered
274 Posts
I also get those 'stiches' in the lower quadrants of my belly when I am walking. I find them painful enough to slow down or stop. I asked my Doc if he thought they were BH and he said no... probably just the stretched muscles getting strained. However, he doesn't have a lot of experience with this stuff (he is my GP and just recently finished his residency) so he could be totally wrong. I'm curious to hear what others say.

· Registered
569 Posts
I'm probably not the best responder b/c I haven't really had a lot of BH yet, but I can pass on what my mw told me. Sounds like stomach getting hard could be BH. From my understanding, they're usually painless and don't last very long. As for the side cramps... hmmm. Maybe just muscle response associalted with the BH.

Quote:
I also get those 'stiches' in the lower quadrants of my belly when I am walking. I find them painful enough to slow down or stop. I asked my Doc if he thought they were BH and he said no... probably just the stretched muscles getting strained. However, he doesn't have a lot of experience with this stuff (he is my GP and just recently finished his residency) so he could be totally wrong. I'm curious to hear what others say

Now these are what I've been getting. With exercise & sometimes during sex (depend on position, sorry if TMI). My mw said that these were round ligament pains (still). She said not to worry too much about them as long as they went away and there was no bleeding or contractions associated with them.

· Registered
2,318 Posts
See, this is where I am afraid in my case. My supposedly painless BH contractions led to the birth of my second son. They were the only contractions I felt with him until I was about 3 hours from his birth.

With DD1 - never felt anything more than BH.

With DD2 - I labored while i slept. I showed up at L&D about 1 1/2 hours after I woke up, and I was complete (fully dilated and effaced) without evening feeling anything I couldn't hold a normal conversation through. As a matter of fact no one believed I was really in labor and had to fight admission/registration that I needed to go up to L&D and no the perinatology office for monitoring.

I have been having BH contractions for almost 10 weeks now, and a couple of weeks ago (I posted on here about it) I had them for about 3 hours that were timeable.

I looks right now, like the appointment I rescheduled last week due to a snow storm may have to get rescheduled again. Starting tonight though early early Tuesday morning we are supposed to get another 5-8 inches. With all the heavy snow being Monday, and I have a late afternoon appointment.

· Registered
4,018 Posts
I would say the side pain is round legiment pain and not BH, but the cramping and ctx you are feeling could be considered normal. Sometimes I get them (not very often) so intense that I have to stop what I'm doing and breath thru it. I'd say, expecially since you've had more than 1 now, uncomfortable can be normal. Now if they become painful/timable then it's time to call your OB/MW though.

HTH's mama!!

· Registered
2,342 Posts
My BH feel a LOT like menstrual cramps.

The side stitch pain you are describing is something I get frequently and my m/w told me it was round ligament stretching, too. Are your babies close in age? Mine will be 17 months apart and she also said that the closer your pregnancies are the stronger the ligament stretching is which feels really intense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.