Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 8yo ds is always getting sick.  He catches everything going - stomach bugs, fevers, colds, swine flu (he had that last year).  He has been like this ever since he was a baby.  He ended up having 25 days off school last year, and that is just normal.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does anyone have any ideas of how to boost his immune system?  He is a very fussy eater, but I try to ensure he eats plenty of fruit and vegetables and supplement his diet with vitamins.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks, I could really use your help.</p>

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
<p>If you Search, you'll find quite a few threads on this topic, but these are the things that have been involved for my son--when he was little, he got sick a lot more than other babies/toddlers--I *think* we're past that now but I'm still work on health stuff for him.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The list:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-food intolerances, cutting out DS's food intolerances was important, gluten and dairy were the biggies, but soy, chocolate, and cashews also caused problems, and even the ones he can have a bit of now (we had none for a while, but now he's got some tolerance) I still need to avoid when he's sick--DS got his only ear infection after a really snotty illness and I made brownies--bad move on my part.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-vitamin D, it's really easy to be low, if you're in the UK then you're far enough north that it's really something to consider, go to the Vitamin D Council website for dosing guidelines -- this one made a big difference last year, at least I think it's the reason a couple illnesses that seemed like they could've turned nasty were pretty manageable</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-gut health, has your son had lots of antibiotics?  Even if he hasn't, but especially if he has, I'd think about steps to create a good environment for a healthy mix of bacteria in his digestive tract.  I've seen the kids (I have 2) get sick more often when their digestive tracts are out of whack.  Cutting out our food intolerances helped my daughter's gut noticeably, adding in probiotic foods helped again--I think she needs both.  We like homemade kimchee, but something that's more familiar to you, sauerkraut, homemade pickles, it's the old fashioned fermented vegetables.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-zinc, my kids were low on zinc and that was involved too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-cell salts, check out the cell salt thread here in Health & Healing, bioplasma reduced the amount of zinc I needed to give my kids, and ferrum phos when the kids first start showing signs of illness has been quite helpful in reducing the duration and intensity of illnesses.  Vitamin C also helps with duration and intensity of illnesses but IME hasn't reduced the number of illnesses overall. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>-methylation, this year getting DS's methylation running better has had a huge impact on how frequently he gets sick and how intensely--this year, he's even getting over illnesses faster than my DD and she's always been the healthier one.  I'll include a link for methylation, but folate and B12 are the nutrients that fuel that process, and really looking at his intake of each, and maybe considering supplementing, may help.  ....</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://tuberose.com/Liver_Detoxification.html" target="_blank">http://tuberose.com/Liver_Detoxification.html</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you just Search the page for methylation, you can skip a lot of the other discussion. </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts