Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another Mom and I were discussing this today... Both our breast fed sons pretty much stopped gaining weight around 10 months old ... they're two and a half now. We all eat pretty healthy, mostly vegitarian. My son eats meat, her son eats dairy... both kids are still nursing alot... but they are stuck at 28 and 25 lbs.<br><br>
Not worried at all about this since both are healthy, bright, active kids...<br><br>
UNTIL...<br><br>
I had baby # 2 and my newborn milk came in. My son (#1) is FEASTING (on the milk) and has shot up about two inches and put on about five lbs.<br><br>
It's obviously due to the milk (he's actually eating less of other foods since his belly is so full with milk) and got us thinking that these kids need more fat or protien in their diets...<br><br>
Are there good healthy fats? Any suggestions?<br><br>
We use alot of oils (on bread, veggies, beans...) Maybe fish?

·
Registered
394 Posts
avocados!<br><br>
tahini, hummus, nut butters- almond has the most fat, i think.<br><br>
tofu, whole milk no sugar yogurt, soy yogurt.<br><br>
soy milk- watch the sugar content, though.<br><br>
beans (adukis especially) are chock full of protein.<br><br>
you can also add flax seed oil to most everything that's not cooked- guacamole, hummus, smoothies.<br><br>
fish is great, too, but i'm not sure about whether it's still an allergy danger if your son is 2 1/2. wild salmon has tons of good fat.<br><br>
and just b/c your son is feasting on mama's milk and has gained some weight doesn't <i>necessarily</i> mean that he was lacking anything before. he's probably just enjoying the new flood of milk and of course he'd want to feast on it! and since no food has the same amount of fat and nutrients as breast milk (especially newborn breast milk), it's not surprising that he's gaining weight.<br><br><br>
hth!

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I agree with all of the above but wanted to add one more tip. Nuts and seeds are great sources of nutrients and good fats. If your child doesn't like them plain (my girls love nuts and dried fruit for snacks) you could also grind up a bunch of nuts and seeds in a coffee grinder or blender and stir them into hot or cold cereal - they just dissolve in and nobody notices. Also, add them to rice, sprinkle over veggies, yogurt, fruit, etc or add to smoothies.<br><br>
Smoothies are a great way to get in a lot of nutrition. Add nuts, seeds, nut or seed butters, yogurt, tofu, even a little olive oil.<br><br>
Eggs are another great source of nutrients and good fat.<br><br>
Oh yeah - how about coconut milk. Use in savory dishes (mild curries etc.) or make a rice pudding with coconut milk - or add it to smoothies.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Pate. Sausage (decent brands, that is, or homemade). Liverwurst. Prime rib or ribeye steaks. Braised beef or pork ribs.<br><br>
He'll probably love all of it, too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great tips! I wish I could print out the post and hang it on the fridge. My son has egg and dairy, pistacio and cashew allergies... seems to be getting over the citrus and wheat allergies. He loves most of the suggestions you all posted and has always been a good eater. I'll try to be more consistent about adding more nuts and oils to his foods and make your suggestions to my friend.<br><br>
I weighed him yesterday and he's up to 31 lbs (from 28), has gotten 2 inches taller and needs bigger diapers (since mid July!). He's still asking to nurse at least five times a day, but is also getting back to his old hearty eating habits... maybe it was just time for a growth spurt to kick in, maybe it's the breast milk??? Who knows.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Butter from grass-fed cows along with cod liver oil is a super combination for good fats.<br>
How about lard in baking and cooking? It's the best source of vitamin D, besides being a good source of healthy fat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts