Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mamas,

My dd will be turning 4 in April and I decided to wean her then. I really would love to have some kind of celebration for her to mark the occasion. Any ideas for things to do? I was thinking of a party of some kind, but I'm open to whatever.

Also, does anyone know of any kids books about weaning that might help her with the transition?

Thanks!
Sadie

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
DD was four when she weaned this past summer, and we wanted to mark the occasion, too. We decided against sharing the experience with others, because nursing was just me and DD. So, it was just me, and DD, and DH.

We took her to her first "dark movie"--ie, her first movie theater movie (it was Ponyo). We gave her two gifts--a lap desk and a watch--that both she and we considered "big girl" things. And then we went out to dinner. It was a really special day!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrunchyGranolaMom View Post
Hi Stacey,

Did she not ever ask to nurse after that???

Looking for ideas on weaning an almost 4-year-old!
She did... a couple of weeks later, and as recently as a couple of weeks ago talked about how she could share the milk w/ the baby, one side for each! She seems to mostly need to talk about her emotions...how much she liked mommy-milk and how she misses it. But, she doesn't dwell on it.

ETA: We were down to once a day when we stopped.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thank you!~ Yes, my 12 y/o still talks (w. a smile on her face) about how I "tricked" her at almost 4 yo by saying she could choose a 2nd story before nap time, or choose to nurse

My dd is down to once a day on one side. I would like to gently "encourage" her to stop sooner rather than later. Thanks for the input!

Sadie, my dd will also be 4 in April! Good luck figuring out what to do and how to do it. Please share what you're thinking! I could use the help

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
I was expecting a 6-7 year old nursing when you said "older."

DD was 4 years, 2 months when we celebrated her weaning (though she continued occasionally trying to nurse another 15 months). She wanted her & I to go to Build A Bear and get matching animals (pigs) and we did. She was *very* proud of herself and I was impressed with the animal stuffer's reaction when she told her what we were celebrating.

With DS we got him The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles DS game
He didn't want a party. That was something I said he was too young for but decided that his self-weaning was a big enough deal I was willing to do it (he was 5.75 years and nearing the end of his kindergarten year in school).

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
when ds1 weaned, he was 3 years and 3 months. i had been talking up a big weaning party as a way to make weaning sound great. when it came down to it, he wanted to go to an indoor amusement park. we brought him there with his younger brother and his best friend, and that was that. he happened (total coincidence) to get new shoes on the day that he decided he was weaned (2-3 days after the last time he nursed). he also got his hair cut, and they gave him a lollypop at the hair cut place, which he still tells me he got because he weaned. we attempted to save his first hair cut for his weaning, but did have to cut it once, about a year before, when he rubbed vaseline into it and we couldn't wash it out. it was shoulder lenght for both hair cuts so though, so it was still dramatic!

ds2 appears to have weaned this past week (which is what brought me to the board). he is about to turn 3. again, i'll ask him what he wants to do. i'm very curious, as he wanted his third b'day party to be a paint gun party. i'm not sure what he'll want to do or whether i'll be able to accomodate. in retrospect, the indoor amusement park was easy!

we did save his first hair cut for weaning. but i'm not sure if he'll even agree to get it cut. i can barely trim his nails and just got him to enjoy combing his hair. so we'll see. the best laid plans . . .

hmm. maybe i'll have to have a crunchy mama weaning party for me even if it's not what ds chooses for his party.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.