Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so dumb for not being able to figure this out on my own, but our outside trash can (one of those huge plastic ones) is really stinky, and being pregnant I feel like I can smell it in the house (I'm sure I'm imagining it, but it's grossing me out).

We've hosed it out, but I think it needs to be scrubbed. Should I just dump a bunch of baking soda and hot water in there and try to find a really long-handled scrub brush (and where would I find one of those)?

Is there some way to clean trash cans that I'm just clueless about? I Googled it and all I came up with were trash can cleaning services, which I actually considered using
: until I read on their website that they require a 1-year contract.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I just use a sponge and scrub away... not really certain there is a special method per se... think of it like a large sink, how do you scrub your sink?

If you feel the need for a long scrub brush, their are countless scrub brushes in the cleaning aislie or any major grocery store/ variety store... worse case use a toliet scrub brush???

·
Registered
341 Posts
You could use a mop. For my indoor garbage can I actually used the can like a pail and mop the floor. You could go up the sides with the mop too if you'd like. My mop head is washable so it makes it really easy.

I've never done this with my outdoor cans but I don't see why you couldn't.

Kelly

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
I just use a sponge and scrub away... not really certain there is a special method per se... think of it like a large sink, how do you scrub your sink?

If you feel the need for a long scrub brush, their are countless scrub brushes in the cleaning aislie or any major grocery store/ variety store... worse case use a toliet scrub brush???
I would have to climb inside the trash can to reach the bottom with a sponge, or even a toilet brush. It's giant -- it stands about 4 feet tall.

The mop idea may work -- I'll give it a try. Thanks apcanadianmamma!

·
Registered
105 Posts
subbing for ideas. the other day I saw maggots at the bottom, and I just about fainted. I had never seen them before, and they were the nastiest looking things ever! We missed taking out the trash one day on trash day, so it sat there till next week. I just poured about a whole bottle of bleach and closed the lid. Maybe if you lay it on it's side, stand back and get a really high pressure hose to it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
About twice a year (Spring & Fall) I take the pressure washer to all of the trash cans in the house and outside. If you don't have access to a pressure washer you could take it to the car wash. I only do it to the kinda rubbermaid ones, not the hard plastic ones.

Laura

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Spray it out with the hose. Put some oxyclean in it, and put a kettlefull of hot water in it (to help get that scum off the bottom, then fill it the rest of the way with the hose. Let it soak for a while. Spray it out. That should get the really nasty stuff out. You may need to do an additional rub down but it won't be as bad since you've gotten the worst of the stuff out (and the stink).

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
you could put some bac-out in it. i would blast it with the hose to get the obvious crud and then squirt some bac-out in and let it sit. we use bac-out for everything around here...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Not a very helpful answer... but my answer is 'let the man do it'

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Our trash can needed a good clean out a couple of months ago, I ran away and pretended to be busy inside and allowed him to do it

Peace

·
Registered
717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakBerry View Post
... put a kettlefull of hot water in it ...
I use regular dish washing liquid with the hot water (though I use a big stockpot-full, not just a kettle-full). I let it sit about 10 minutes (to dissolve the junk on the bottom) and, then, scrub away with a long reach scrubber intended for the shower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.