Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed a letter to all of the authors/co-authors of <a href="http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=80R&Bill=HB1154" target="_blank">House Bill 1154</a>. There follows a list of authors/co-authors and committee members that I have emailed. They do not have public email addresses so I went to <a href="http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/?lvl=L" target="_blank">http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...ficials/?lvl=L</a> where you can enter the last name, select the correct Representative (one at a time unfortunately) and send them a message. It is time consuming but worth it! (Forgive my typos, I'm NAK). I wrote the letter in word and copied/pasted so after the first few times it was a breeze.<br><br><b>Authors/Joint/Co-Authors</b><br>
Farrar (of course)<br>
Patrick Rose<br>
Gonzalez (Toureilles)<br>
Lucio (Representative, not Senator)<br><br><b>House Committee on Public Health</b> (this bill is currently pending in committee)<br>
Dianne Delisi<br>
Jodie Laubenberg<br>
Jim Jackson<br>
Ellen Cohen<br>
Garnet Coleman<br>
Veronica Gonzales<br>
Susan King<br>
Dora Olivio<br>
Vicki Truitt<br><br><b>Who represents you?</b><br>
If you are in TX you can go <a href="http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/?lvl=L" target="_blank">here</a> to find out who represents you by entering your zip code/address.<br><br>
This may help in applying pressure to get this legislature out of committee...if that happens, than RMH will HAVE to change their policy BY LAW. No more loophole, no more 'oral guideline' crap. This bill even includes possibly fining offending businesses, etc. This pending bill states:<br><br><b>SECTION 1. Section 165.002, Health and Safety Code, is amended to read as follows (portion to be amended in italics)</b>:<br><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Sec. 165.002. RIGHT TO BREAST-FEED</span>. (a) A mother is entitled to breast-feed her baby in any location in which the mother is otherwise authorized to be. <i>A mother's authority to be in a location may not be revoked for the sole reason that she begins to breast-feed.<br>
(b) A person may not interfere with or restrict the right of a mother to breast-feed in accordance with this section:<br>
(1) in any place held open to the general public; or<br>
(2) in any place owned or operated by an entity:<br>
(A) from which the comptroller collects taxes; or<br>
(B) which holds a license or permit issued by the comptroller.</i><br><b>SECTION 2. Chapter 165, Health and Safety Code, is amended by adding Subchapter C to read as follows</b>:<br><i><span style="text-decoration:underline;">SUBCHAPTER C. NOTIFICATION AND PENALTY<br>
Sec. 165.101. NOTIFICATION BY COMPTROLLER</span>. The comptroller at least one time shall notify each business entity described by Section 165.002(b)(2) of the right of a mother to breast-feed and the prohibition against interference with or restriction of that right as provided by Section 165.002. The comptroller may combine the notification required by this section with any other notice or document mailed to an entity described by this section.<br><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Sec. 165.102. CIVIL PENALTY</span>. (a) The district or county attorney for the county in which a violation of Section 165.002 is alleged to have occurred may issue a letter to the person alleged to have violated that section. The letter must advise the person of the requirements of Section 165.002 and state that the person may be liable for a civil penalty under this section for a subsequent violation.<br>
(b) A person who violates Section 165.002 after receiving a warning letter under Subsection (a) is liable to the state for a civil penalty of $250 for each violation that occurs after the letter is received.<br>
(c) The district or county attorney for the county in which a violation of this section is alleged to have occurred, or the attorney general, if requested by the district or county attorney for that county, may file suit for the collection of the penalty.<br>
(d) A civil penalty recovered under this section shall be deposited:<br>
(1) in the state treasury if the attorney general brings the suit; or<br>
(2) in the general fund of the county in which the violation occurred if a district or county attorney brings the suit.</i><br>
SECTION 3. As soon as practicable after the effective date of this Act, but not later than September 1, 2008, the comptroller shall provide the notification required by Section 165.101, Health and Safety Code, as added by this Act, to each business entity described by Section 165.002(b)(2), Health and Safety Code, as added by this Act, in existence on the effective date of this Act.<br>
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2007.<br><br><br>
Let me know if this helps!! (oh, and I sent a letter to Rick Perry too, just for fun!)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts