Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to the idea of night weaning/gradual night weaning, but I've seen it mentioned somewhere you could start with cutting out one feed.

I am currently just at the end of my own tolerance, ds has been waking up 8-10 times/night for almost 3 months now. I know I probably don't need to go into depth about how this is making me feel....but I am ready to be more active in looking for solutions!

Tonight he woke just 15 minutes after I nursed him back to sleep for the 2nd time. (the 3rd time was all in a span of 2.5 hours from initial bedtime) I felt perhaps I could just rock him and embark on the 'cut one feed' journey...he fussed a bit, fell asleep in my arms, but woke when I laid him down. He fussed for quite some time and then the tears became stronger, and so did his emotions. fully awake. I caved. we nursed to sleep.

but he was pretty emotional after this, and I could hear in the monitor he wasn't sleeping too settled. He woke 20 minutes later. we nursed again, but both sessions were twice as long as normal.

I've tried, briefly, to have dh just pee him when he wakes (we EC) but he has a meltdown if I don't take him. I don't think I'll be able to include dh in this solution. (though dh might be open to try, I won't rule it out)

I'm going to check at the library for the NCSS book and the one for toddlers. Does anyone have any advice to offer, any other book references, anything? I would love to hear anything that helped!

we don't have white noise, I just saw a mention of that....does this help with frequent waking, or just when waking while alone? TIA!

·
Registered
904 Posts
With my son, nursing to sleep was his ONLY sleep association in the middle of the night (my mistake
). When we did begin nightweaning at 13 months (for medical reasons), there were definitely tears. He was used to a certain routine, and I was changing it on him. He didn't like that. Ds slept with us, but it didn't matter that I was right there patting him- he was used to nursing and nothin' but nursing was going to make him happy. Eventually, he did get used to the new routine, and over the next 5 months or so we gradually nightweaned.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
DS woke up SEVERAL times a night untill about 17 months. Now he sleeps great! I think sleeping with me gave him the tools to feel safe and happy during his sleep. Now he just rolls over and smacks me to make sure I'm still there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts