Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds (6 months) has a rash on his neck. I'm suspecting it's a heat rash, but I'm not sure. He has quite the rolly polly neck and it's hot here. Then again, I have been adding some things back into my diet.... Anyway, any thoughts on what it is? If it is a heat rash, what should I do? Carefully apply some powder to the area or something so it won't get sweaty there? I thought baby powder wasn't so good though? Can anyone help? I hate to see this horrible rash all around his neck!
:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did it come on suddenly or slowly over time? Suddenly would support it being heat rash, more slowly would lean toward food related. Not a 100% correlation, but holds true in my experience.

If it is heat rash, don't but anything on it. Except maybe a little aloe vera. Powder isn't good to it. Prickly heat rash is caused by sweat not getting out of the sweat glands like it needs to (often occurs in creases, neck, arm folds, etc.) Putting powder on it seems like the right thing, but could make it worse. My son has prickly heat right now - its been in the high 90s - 100 or so around here and we don't have AC. I keep him cool and wipe him down with cool rags.

He is also very prone to eczema (if we eat the wrong things), and the prickly heat rash looks a bit like the eczema now that it is a week old. But, it started out looking red and with tiny bumps and came on very quickly.

Hope your little on feels better soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts