Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

I'm guessing there have been posts re. this before. But here is another and thanks in advance for ANY response

My son is 10. He's in grade 5. He started "school" in grade 2, so he's been in for 3 years. This year I gave permission for him to be in a Learning Dissabilities/Behavioural difficulties (LDBD) classroom. VERY STRUCTURED. Lots of rewards/punishments with points and signatures, whatnot. It's got a nice ratio for a classroom 14:3 (students to teachers). But it is eroding his self esteem. He's also been on Ritalin during school time for 2.3 years (not in summer, or other breaks or on weekends) and we're stopping that...well, it's been stopped.

We're looking into a freeschool environment because DS wants to go to school. However, in the meantime he will likely "deschool" until next fall.

So what do we do??? I can't stand the idea of letting him watch TV or play Habbo Hotel all day long. Have you put limits on your kids who are deschooling?

I'm just starting my research.

Thanks,

Abby

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
When we pulled our (then finishing grade 4 & grade 1) children out of school we pretty much let them do 'whatever' for a few months. (We do not have TV, and put time limits on Nintendo & movies -only on weekends for a few hours-) We found that they played outside a lot, build things with blankets & furniture, played with Lego, drew lots of pictures, read constantly, etc. Creative stuff.

I would definately put limits on 'plugging in' to TV/movies/computer/video games & encourage lots of creative or thinking play...does he like to cook? write? do crafts?
What province are you in?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Deschooling will take some time. Relax and enjoy each other doing lots of fun things together. Play board games, cook, buy science and craft kits. Go to museums, community events. Let him get involved in whatever he wants. Just make suggestions and take his lead.

I put limits on my son for video games and TV. He does not usually play games until after dinner. He is allowed certain shows and games. I tried just lettting him play as much as he wanted and it got out of control. Before all this we had a card system. I know one hs mom that says she makes her kids pay her a quarter to play games. This can take some experimentation to find out what you are comfortable with and works for your family.

Congrats on bringing your ds home!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds like he needs some hobbies and interests. Would he like to learn to cook? build a bird house? make a model rocket? Does he like to be read to?

There must be something he would like to do besides watch TV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you heard of Windsor House School? If not, you should check out their website: http://whs.at.org/

Windsor House is very supportive of deschooling. Even if your child is not ready to go to school on a daily basis, Windsor House can still be a great resource and since all of the families at Windsor House have been through the "deschooling" process, or are currently deschooling, you could likely find a lot of support from the other parents there.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
bumping for you

there are many mamas here that have been through deschooling, it really should have a sticky or something,
I have two things to offer-
one is that each child is very different and will deschool on their own timeframe, in their own way- especially if there is anger from bad public school experience or fear of unknown new choice of homeschooling so everyone's POV and advice will depend on the unique experience they had & vary, do not worry mom if your child seems to take more time or less then you expected

second- if he does not have the ability to control his behaviors off meds & is compulsive/obsessive about things, IME you may be better off setting limits on the video games- TV and having lots of alternative things to do set up for him to choose from that include physical activity in your looking for things to do, try to include something that will help him with stress relief & burn that kids need to be active

I was thinking swimming or Tae Kwon do 3 times a week, then alternate days going for walks. You could put away the video games if possible before the deschooling so that he is choosing from other things to do and learning to enjoy that, then bring them back out setting limits if you want

I wish you the best as you sort this out, i have 3 boys
including a 10 yr old

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hey Abby!

I was wondering if you had taken your son out of school when I saw you with him at SW last week... I meant to ask you and forgot or got sidetracked
I am sure you will get some good ideas here on deschooling... even though Cass was only in school for a few months we have been having our own deschooling of sorts too

Jen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.