Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a Korean flag computer mousepad for my MIL's birthday. I want to knit the Korean flag, then put some sort of puffy paint or rubber cement on the bottom and will need something on the top so the mouse slides easily. Here are my two questions:

1. What could I put on top to allow the mouse to slide? Is this even possible?

2. How do I create a pattern for the flag itself? Here's what the flag looks like

I know this sounds like a strange gift, but she'll absolutely love it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Graph paper. I'm assuming you'll be doing intarsia, right? Here is one source for printable knitting graph paper. Print it out, grab some colored pencils, and rough it out. Or you can probably print out the graph paper, then put it back in the printer & print a Korean flag on top of it (see if you can find an outline version). It'd be simpler to do it by hand, I think.

As for making it a working mousepad...all I can think of is maybe you can have it laminated.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Oooh, thats a great idea! Are you going to do something felted? I think if you felt it to be a thicker/sturdier fabric that would be cool. My mousepad is a regular one and its not shiny/laminated on top, just some sort of nylon I think. I'd be cautious to use somthing shiny if she has an optical mouse as it may not work well.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Here's an odd idea:
You can knit the design, scan it, and have it printed on a mousepad.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to nix the idea of the mousepad and just do a little flag to hang up somewhere. I think the mousepad would be too hard to get looking good. I love the idea of felting it, but white yarn doesn't felt well and it would be hard to make the dimensions correct.

On another note, has anyone ever tried those programs that create intarsia knitting patterns for you? Do they work well?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.