Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for any of you who birthed or are birthing outside of home, what do you plan on dressing baby in to come home? Let's assume it will be a "normal" summer day, i.e. not blazing hot, not chilly. I don't know what to dress him in. Also.....

1st- I was told babies with the umbilicus attached should wear side snap shirts in order to avoid irritating that area.

2nd- My family seems to think that babies need to be dressed ultra warm, while my friends seem to think that something like a onesie, a hat & blanket are sufficient. Admittedly, my family is a little nuts about the idea of keeping babies warm. I'm surprised that we all survived all that bundling.

Anyway, I'm not 100% comfortable with what I packed for him; side snap shirt, pants, hat, socks & blanket if needed.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have always been told - one more layer than what you want to wear. I take that to mean a onesie and an outfit. I would put them in long sleeves and long pants, with socks (or footed). However, it can be really light cotton (not fleece).

I also don't think you can really bother the umbilicus so not sure a side-snap shirt (not even sure what that is) matters.

My babe came home in a onesie, a light cotton long sleeve/long pant outfit with socks. I then put a light blanket in the car seat. We have been out & about in similar outfits (but I am now dropping the onesie on really hot days).

If you are putting the babe in cloth, I would avoid pants and stick with one piece outfits so to avoid the tight waist.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh darn! Didn't think about the tight waist/CD situation. Thanks for the tip.

A side snap shirt, is just a shirt that snaps on the front towards the side.

I think a blanket counts as an extra layer, doesn't it? People don't typically walk around with blankets on.

Think if I go with a layered approach, I can adjust as needed depending on how he feels/looks.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Our babies are born at home, but we do take them in for a check up at a few days. We are in shorts and shirts around here and it is hot. So, I plan on putting a onesie and socks (my babies tend to have cold feet) on and having a light flannel blanket to use as needed. I do plan on using cotton gowns at night, as dh complains that I have been freezing him out, although the kids haven't been complaining. This is my first Summer baby, so I am kind of playing it by ear.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
We do just a onsie and socks with a cotton blanket (for warmth, to keep the sun off, to catch urp, etc). If it's really hot we do a diaper and "t shirt" nd if it's cold we do a long sleeve/footed sleeper.

Rowan came home in a onsie, socks, a cotton knit hat, and a cotton blanket draped over her in the car seat. On our walks she's in the wrap so again usually just a onsie and socks since I count the wrap as a "layer".

But some kiddos run hot and some run cold...if their feet and hands are cold try adding a hat or another light layer. If they are flushed or their torso seems hot then dress them in less or use lighter/looser layers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
2 summers ago when we brought Lexa home (at night) in a hat, footed romper/pj and had a thin cotton blanket loosely over her.

out and about for the first week or so i like thin footed onsies, same for home. stay away from waist band pants until his belly button is all set. ive always been told one more layer then what id be happy in...which is why i go with a footed romper/onsie thing. or around the house a gown with socks and a blanket.

·
Registered
340 Posts
oh! and my midwife the first time gave me great advice! i asked how long do i need to keep putting hats on him? she said basically, as soon as you get sick of em, thats usually the right time
and it was true...after about 5-6 days i was so over the little hats, and that seemed like the perfect time to ditch em

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.