Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,

please don't flame me. I need help; my 19-month-old twins are used to waking up and nursing first thing in the AM. They used to wake up around 5, I would crawl into bed with them and nurse them, and we would all go back to sleep for a while. They have stopped going back to sleep, so we are all getting up at 5 or 5:30 now (arg!), but I really want to get rid of that morning nursing, because I HATE it.

It's miserable and horrible for me, and I have been gritting my teeth and dealing with it for over a year (before then it wasn't so miserable). They scratch me until I bleed (no matter how much I trim their nails), they pinch me, they NEVER latch on properly in bed, they push each other off the nipple before I can unlatch them, they kick, etc. And they will go on doing this for hours if I let them. As long as they are sleepy, they want to be on the breast, and as long as they are on the breast, it's horrible. But only this first, sleepy nursing of the day. During the day, they take redirection much better (in terms of 'no, don't scratch and pinch mommy, that hurts. hold this toy while you are nursing instead.')

So how do you help them to wake up without nursing? We were in a place where they were very happy to get juice in a cup when they woke up and skip nursing. Then they got sick, and Owen especially just wants to nurse when he gets up (they are not sick anymore). I have tried having DH get up with them, but they just scream for mama and it's horrible.

I don't want to wean them, I just really feel like I can't do the morning nursing anymore. Help!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
It might be helpful to know what you have tried? Where do they sleep? How about creating some excitement in the morning - like you hear them waking up, turn on some fun music and call them to the other room where you engage them in a fun activity? Of course have food/drink ready for if they want it. It wouldn't have to go on forever they would probably have the routine changed in about a week? If you have to go to them and get them out of bed it might be harder but maybe you dh could get them and bring them to you in the kitchen. Just something to get them moving and distracted first thing in the morning?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I dont nurse my DD until after she has had her breakfast (cereal w/fruit). This is her biggest meal of the day. She will nurse about 20 min after breakfast and that is her first nursing of the morning when she fully wakes up.

I am in the process of nightweaning but she does one quick nurse at 4 am and sleeps till 7 or 8am after this.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, ladies! This morning was a little bit better. Jonah didn't ask at all until after breakfast, at which point I am totally okay to nurse them. Owen was asking all morning from the moment he woke up, but he didn't completely freak out about it.

For a while, they would wake up at around 6 or 6:30 and we would offer them a cup of juice, and they were totally okay with that. They would drink their orange juice and then eat breakfast and go about their day. But once they got sick, they were nursing a lot more, and Owen suddenly wanted to nurse as soon as he woke up. While he was sick and not really eating food, we did it, but now it's like starting all over again with night weaning (morning weaning?).

We've tried to just get up and get the day going, but Owen is not to be distracted. I've tried offering another drink first thing, but he doesn't want anything to do with it. This morning was better; I snuggled him (trying to keep his face up on my shoulder instead of near my boobs) and sang to him and talked about all the things we could see out the window.

I think part of it is that it will take some getting used to all over again, but I would love some ideas to distract him or to make it easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.