Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son goes to bed at 8pm. he wakes up at 4, sometimes 5am for the day. i would like to know if there is a way to encourage him to sleep longer? putting him to bed later wouldn't help, as he'll still wake up at the same time. i know he's getting a lot of sleep, but it's just hard for ME to get up at that hour! lol if there is a way to encourage him to sleep for at least another hour....<br><br>
but obviously, i will deal with his schedule. i was just hoping to adjust it! lol

·
Registered
771 Posts
Do you have a fan or some type of white noise? That's essential for us. And DS will sleep better when he's had plenty of physical exertion during the day.<br><br>
Several parenting books on sleep (like The NO Cry Sleep Solution) recommend putting our little ones to bed earlier for best sleep--if they are overtired they may be more prone to waking. That one doesn't work for us, but it does for other families I know.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Does he nap much during the day? Can you shorten the length of any naps he has to possibly buy some extra sleep time at night? Or maybe you could delay when he goes down for a nap (assuming that he has one in the afternoon) so that he'll stay up a little later before going down for the night.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes. Definitely look into the naps. You may want to shift the balance of sleep from day to night! Also, is the room esp. bright? Heck, I guess not. Even here in texas it is still dark dark at 4:00. Uggh.<br><br>
Also, there is something called scheduling awakening that worked for my sister. I do think the hours you are describe are really on the low end for night sleep, so it may be worth trying.<br><br>
What my sister did was go in about 45 minutes before her daughter usually woke, and woke her up herself. Not too much, but enough that her eyes opened etc. She would then rock her back to sleep.<br><br>
It somehow seemed to break the sleep cycle she was in, and after about a week, K was sleeping until 6:00.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts