Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7-month old DD is just not a crawler. She hates being on her tummy, always has. She's never sat balanced forward on her hands: it's been strainght up and down all along. She loves standing and goes stiff as a board at every opportunity - would stay that way for hours a day if I'd cooperate. It seems that she's destined to be one of those babes that skip crawling altogether. But - I don't want her to skip crawling! I know about the correlation with dyslexia later in life. Obviously that movement does something to the lateralization of the brain.

So, mamas - what should I do? what CAN I do? I put her on her tummy pretty much every day, and she cries. I hold her in crawling position and she just collapses forward and cries. I help her get in push-up position and put tempting toys in front of her and she flops and cries. She's 7.5 months. I hope this window of opportunity isn't closing! Any advice at ALL welcome!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'm not sure you can force a baby to be a crawler if he/she just doesn't want to do it. If it makes you feel any better, my dd (10 months now) wanted nothing to do with crawling at all. For her it's mostly been walking or nothing. She is very good at cruising around the furniture, and is even taking a few steps on her own and standing on her own. Now she's starting to take more of an interest in crawling and can get herself across the room very well.

For what it's worth, my mom told me that I walked first, then crawled, and I've never had any reading problems at all.

I don't know if that helps...but I think your babe will figure it out on her own time.

Sheri
Reese (12-22-04)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My DD is only 5.5 months but she has this same "disposition" when it comes to motor skills. She has insisted on "standing up" at every opportunity (assisted of course) since 2 months old. She HATES tummy time. These days she likes it better than she ever has and that's not much. Her legs are very strong but she does not want to use her arms for support either during tummy time or while sitting (she can sit unassisted for a few seconds...just a very few seconds). I have tried everything I can think of to persuade her to use her arm muscles but she just doesn't wanna!
I worry about crawling too, although it is still pretty early to be thinking about it.

I figure all I can do is keep on giving her the opportunity to exercise her muscles and she will develop the way she is meant to. I crawled before I walked, as did my husband, so hopefully she will too. If not, she will crawl *after* she walks and either way she will gain the skill!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Many babies crawl at 8-9 mos. I had one early crawler (5.5 mos) and one late crawler.
There are debates about that theory about babies needing to crawl to develop correctly. Some say it's necessary and some say it's not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can she sit unassisted? If so, place a toy (or something "not a toy" is even better - something that she'd really want...) just out of her reach to the front of her and a little to the side. put her hand that is closest to the toy down on the ground and guide her to reach for the toy with the other one. Keep doing this putting the toy farther and farther away. Eventually she will be in the crawling position putting weight on her hands and eventually her knees.

This worked great for my kids. They HATED being on their stomaches so they were happier learning this way.

Alie

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Most babies will crawl, and some never do. But you cant really tell which at only 7 months. My ds1 cruised furniture for about a month before he ever tried crawling. My dd2 hated being on her tummy till she was 7 months old and finally learned to roll from her tummy to her back. She learned to crawl at 9 months.

Also developmentally it doesnt so much matter WHEN they crawl as much as THat they crawl. What that means if your baby doesnt crawl before walking. You still have plenty of time to play lots of crawling games to get lots of crawling in. It is never too late. (they even use crawling therapy on some adults to reprogram the brain if it was missed in childhood).

So seriously I woudlnt stress about it or even keep tryign so hard if it is frustrating your baby.

Joline

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
My son walked before he crawled, walked early and crawled later, mostly later. And sometimes still crawls to be an animal.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My just about 9 month old hasn't done the crawling thing either, he's just now pushing himself backwards on his tummy. Loves standing and is starting to bend at the knee to move feet - I fear walking is near!! I would try not to worry too much and see what the next few months bring - they change so quickly!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I never crawled and I do not have dyslexia or any difficulties reading or writing. In fact, I can write pretty a good paper (for school or whatever) and also enjoy reading quite a bit.
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
While NOT all (or even most) babies who do not crawl develop difficulties. A large percentage of children with language difficulties, either speech or reading, skipped the crawling phase.
Most babies who do not crawl are fine. But it isnt entirely without merit.
One friends daughter has reading difficulties, not dyslexia but an inability to read or spell phonetically. She can only read sight words, which means she has to memorize every word she reads in order to read. It is very slow and painstaking. But she is otherwise fine. Her reading therapist tied it to skipping crawling. Another friends daughters speech delay was also tied to skipping crawling.
However, it is moot because teh more you know, the more you can do. If these moms knew crawling was important they could have encouraged their already walking toddlers to crawl and play animal or any millions of things. So it is good to know, but not enough to stress over.Joline

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, thanks THANKS for the advice! I did not crawl, and I AM dyslexic, and a good friend who tutors dyslexics for a living said that 80% of dyslexics weren't crawlers. (Though she didn't know what % of non-crawlers are dyslexic, which is a very different thing.) So I'm not sweating over it but I do feel concern. Dyslexia isn't the end of the world, but if I can help DD do what's needed developmentally I want to!
:
Johub, the info about crawling itself (rather than WHEN) being important is great. Any advice about sources to educate myself more?

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
hey luna, have you ever taken your little one to a pediatric chiropractor? i know a couple of great ones in the pdx area depending on where you are... it might help her get more used to the mechanics of her body and be more comfortable bing on her tummy. also, they might give you some ideas of how to make her more used to it, also.

pm me for more info...

~claudia

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Try googling "crawling therapy"
I dont have any specific sources. THe first time I heard about it was in a fiction book LOL. And through my friends whose daughters I mentioned whose speech/reading therapists mentioned it.
My best friends dd,s readign problem didnt show up until she was six. It is just about the wiring and not about an overall learning disability. She is brilliant with math. So the affects can be so long term that they go unseen for years and years. (although not so much for speech)
Joline

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
luna, for selfish reasons, I am glad you posted this. I have been wondering about this same thing. dfs is 6 1/2 months and I want to encourage him to crawl largely because he wants to get moving sooooo badly and is super frustrated all the time about not knowing how to do it. I could have absolutely written this part of your post, about my dfs:

Quote:
I put her on her tummy pretty much every day, and she cries. I hold her in crawling position and she just collapses forward and cries. I help her get in push-up position and put tempting toys in front of her and she flops and cries.
He does the exact same thing...no matter how tempting the things I put in front of him. I've also tried rolling up a towel and putting it under his belly to prop him up (or putting my leg under him), per the suggestion of his physical therapist, but he seems even more frustrated when I do that, or he'll roll over the towel and not have a clue what to do next.

Alieand the twins, thank you sooooo much for the suggestion on alternative to tummy time to encourage crawling. I'm going to try it with dfs and see how it goes. He's still relatively unstable sitting, but he can sit for a few minutes at a time when he is focused. Anyway, maybe he'll get less frustrated if I use your suggestion.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Maybe it's 3rd child syndrome again lol but ds is 8.5 months and barely crawling and I couldn't think any less about it. Some babies don't crawl til 10 months (or more!). I wouldn't give it a second thought. 7 months is pretty early for a lot of babies to be worried about not crawling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.