Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title just about sums it up... Any thoughts? I'm also not sure when to tell him. DS is a bit of a worrier so I don't want to tell him too soon but also don't want to spring it on him. (It's scheduled for Dec 9th.)<br><br>
Anyone go through this? (Not sure if it differs from an undescended testicle surgery.)<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My DD is five and (obviously) hasn't had testicle issues, but she has a facial birthmark that is being removed in stages, so she had two major surgeries this past summer. Plus two earlier ones when she was a year old.<br><br>
We found with DD that at her age, it's more about all of the other stuff going on than about the actual surgical procedure. And it was all REALLY exciting for her; it was me and DH who were a mess. We tried to be casual and lighthearted about it, like "Oh, yeah, next Tuesday you'll go to Children's Hospital for your surgery. And maybe next Thursday we'll go grocery shopping." We put as little weight on the surgery as possible; it was just one more thing on our to-do list.<br><br>
When describing it, we focused on the step-by-step. We'd get up super-early in the morning and DD would go in the car with just Mommy and Daddy. NO little brother. She could even wear her pajamas if she wanted! She could bring her stuffed animal and blanket if she wanted to, but she wouldn't be able to eat or drink anything. After surgery, we'd take her home and let her watch TV and eat whatever she wanted for the rest of the day. Hooray!<br><br>
Once we got to the hospital, the staff took over to make the pre-op experience really easy. Are you going to a dedicated children's hospital? That made a big difference to us; they really catered to DD and made everything seem fun, from getting a bracelet and hospital pajamas on, to choosing a scent to go into her anesthesia mask. They let her keep her grubby stuffed animal in the operating room, and I went in with her to hold her hand and talk to her until she was asleep. There was no terror or much discomfort associated with it, although she fought the gas a bit and said later she didn't like the smell. She already has a plan next time to try to breathe only through her mouth. No IV until she was completely out.<br><br>
We told DD that after her surgery she would feel tired and maybe a little confused, but then we would go home to rest and she'd be able to have as many ice pops as she wanted.<br><br>
Although she's now had four surgeries, DD still isn't really sure what surgery IS. I mean, she sleeps through it, and she doesn't have the mental image adults have from watching too much ER or Gray's Anatomy. All she knows about surgery is that she gets a fun trip to the hospital, goes to sleep, and wakes up bandaged with people fawning all over her. There is no fear associated with the idea of surgery; it's really just a word to her that describes this really weird experience she's had a few times.<br><br>
I hope your experience goes as smoothly as ours have so far! Even when you know things will be fine, it's still really stressful to send your kid in for surgery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts