Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking up my area on texasmidwives.com, I've found only five MWs who are close enough to consider as possibilities. After looking at their info on the site and on their own websites and talking with them, DH and I met with two whom we thought we'd like. One, a CNM, was just ok. The other, a CPM, we clicked with a little more, but I'm not totally sure about her and I'd like to talk to a few more MWs to see if we can find one we really like.

It really concerns me that so few midwives are available. When I talked to the MW that we sort of like, she mentioned that there are only about 200 certified MWs in the entire state!! So I'm thinking of expanding my search to non-certified midwives. Any idea how I can go about doing this? I've done some internet searches and haven't had any luck...

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Been there, done that
That website is a good starting place, but doesn't always have all the info. You might want to check out
http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/hcqs/plc/midwif.htm
there you can search the documented midwives in TX. My understanding (but I could be mistaken) is that midwives in TX can be CNMs or they can be "documented" but not certified. Whatever...

Where abouts in TX are you? I'm in the Houston area and thrilled with my current midwife (after changing at about 29 weeks)

Good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
IME, most people who use lay MWs are either very crunchy or very religious, or both. So, I think the best places to look are at LLL meetings (maybe ask the leader in private if any moms who had HBs would be willing to share names with you), or at HS groups, or at a church that has a lot of moms there that have HBs.

I know a few different groups of awesome lay MWs- not in TX though!
They would never advertise and the only way to find them is through word-of-mouth. I personally found mine thru my LLL Leader, who used them for her own births.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LLL sounds like a great idea... I'll see if I can find the local chapter.

Angela I'm in the Houston area too. Can I ask who you're using? (PM me if you like.)

Thanks gals!

Off to check out that site...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts