Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I think if you had blood work and your HCG was extra high or if got big really fast, etc then a midwife, etc could look for 2 heartbeats.

I'm not worried about it since there are no twins in my family at all.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This was my concern exactly because everyone kept telling me that I might be having twins. A woman at the playground told me about the HCG test, so I asked my MW about it and she said "oh we don't need to do that I can tell right now." She wanted to do an ultrasound which I didn't really want to do. But she told me that she only needed to see if there was one head or two - and that it would be only a matter of seconds. So, half reluctantly but really wanting to know - we did the US. It lasted less than 30 seconds, probably more like 15.

I know this wasn't your question, but I have to say I am relieved to know it's not twins, and we still might not do ANY more ultrasounds.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
If you're doing doppler you might as well be doing U/S as doppler has a MUCH stronger ultrasound than a sonogram would. FYI.

Ways to find out twins without doing an U/S:
measurements (can be way off though)
feeling two babies
intuition

Really most say the best way to 100% prove twins is through U/S. The other ways really aren't as reliable.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spark
Really most say the best way to 100% prove twins is through U/S. The other ways really aren't as reliable.

And this isn't always 100% accurate. I have heard of many, many hiding twins!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Oooh, that's true. Usually though by 16-20 weeks though, there aren't hiding ones... or are there... I type as we all look down at our bellies... hello, down there? How many do you contain???

·
Registered
887 Posts
until week 35. The boy was in the back and totally hidden. The mom measurements were very normal/average until week 33-34. By week 35, they were quickly getting not proportional with the previous measurements. She was very anti-ultrasound but went to rule out polyhydramnios (sp?) and they found the hidden twin.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hmmm isn't it also possible for the midwife to figure out you're having twins by doing external exams? Supposedly a good midwife can tell a lot with just her hands....? But I'm sure that's not a foolproof method.

·
Registered
457 Posts
ahh taedareth, that sounds good on paper, but i have the BEST midwife ever and she felt twins my last pregnancy. i went about my business for two weeks -- ha! ya right! -- and then after not sleeping most of that time (it just kills you not to know, you feel like you have so much more planning to do if there's two babies, not to mention nutrition needs and the needs to start ignoring your first born early b/c that's what twins would do to upheave -- yikes... that was so negative, but i was so scared of that part of it!) anyhow, i ended up doing a quickie sono and it was solo singleton. honestly after all that thinking and imagining, i felt really sad. but i was just glad to know! midwife and i decided that i had a speedy son who managed to get his head almost in two places at once, which seemed true. i could get a kick up by my ribs and nearly simultaneously down by my pelvis at a really early age -- quite the swimmer!

good luck to all wanting to know. i guess i would say that LATER in the pregnancy, when movement is starting to decrease (and twins would be bumping into each other) a midwife should be able to tell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts