Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use cloth hankies almost exclusively for nose-blowing, even though my kids use those icky disposable tissues that leave lint and dust everywhere.

When they get soiled, I just toss them in the hamper- sometimes they get washed on cold with the next "delicate" load, sometimes they get washed with non chlorine bleach and warm or hot water, sometimes they get washed an hour after use and sometimes it's 3 days.

Some of them got blood on them when I had a slightly bloody nose- just enough that the hanky comes out with blood spots where I've blown my nose. If I get a REAL bloody nose I'll either use tissues or at the very least be aware that I've soiled a hanky or 3 and wash them immediately and carefully. That doesn't happen too often though.

In any case, I've got 2 or 3 white handkerchiefs that have been washed and dried several times and have several small brownish "old blood" stains pretty well set in. Interestingly enough, I don't seem to have any stains on my tie-dyed hankies. Is there any way to get these stains out? If I dyed these hankies, would the new color cover the stains or would I just have stained colored hankies?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Cold water washing should have done the trick. If the water was warm or hot, or you put it in the dryer, it could have set in the stain (sorry!).

You can put more detergent on the stain and wash again in cold. If they're white, you can also put lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide in them (or oxygen bleach if you have some) and see if that works.

Sunning usually gets rid of stains too (bleaches them out).

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I agree that heat sets the stain. You could also try an enzyme cleaner, like you would use to break down the residual odor from pet messes. It takes fresh blood out easily, but if its been set with heat, I really don't know if it would work.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Oxyclean stain remover is amazing at this
:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I know this sounds nasty but it works. i learned it in genetics class years ago. Before you wash the stained item, spit on it you may need to do it a few times and you may to work it in. But if it is your blood and your saliva it should come right out. I have been it for years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry since this thread is old, but I thought this would benefit you guys. Ideally, you would want to tackle the stain with water right away. The fresher the blood is, the more effective it is to clean it off. And then, apply some soap on it. Give it a good rub all over the stain. And if you're dealing with light-color fabric, hydrogen peroxide (which will act as bleach) will be a good option. In worse cases when the blood has dried, you'll need to put more work into it. First, apply some pre-treatment products which could be found anywhere on the market. Then use enzyme-based laundry detergent to wash off the stain. This could be applied to bed sheets, shoes, and any kinds of fabric or leather materials.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it fresh do not wash away the stain with hot or warm water because it will make the stain fix and it will be even harder to get rid of it.
Lemon juice is mentioned above.
Another good way to get blood stains is cooking salt. Sprinkle the fresh stain with salt and leave it for about an hour, then rinse with cold water. If the stains are old, they need to be soaked in water with salt - 3 tablespoons per liter of water.
If you want to use oxygenated water, then pour a small amount on the stain and leave it for a minimum of half an hour to have a chance to work, then wash in the washing machine or hands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts