Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is going to sound peverse, but its driving me nuts: DD is 6 and in 1st grade and I REALLY want to homeschool. We've talked about it and talked about it and talked about it and she continues to tell me, "That sounds ok, but I still want to go to school."

She says she'd miss her friends, and that she'd miss her teacher and her 'specials'. But of course her school friends still are in the neighborhood and accessible for playdates, the teacher will be gone next year, and homeschool would afford even bigger and more special 'specials'...

I respect her choice and don't try to talk her out of it, but at the end of the day it kills me to see her going to school where she gets picked on, ignored by the teacher and is bored most of the time.

We have a bunch of homeschooling friends, including quite a few kids who DD really likes, and we've spent a few days 'going to school' with those kids - sampling homeschooling.

I don't want to coerce DD and pull her out of school against her will... so mamas do you have any ideas for me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,026 Posts
I think you should make the winter break/vacation an absolute blast so she won't want to go back to school when it's over!

I can't imagine having a child who wants to go to school, so I have no advice other than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
My dd was in 1st grade when I decided I wanted to HS her, she did not want anything to do with it. So on the weekends and school breaks I would do really cool hands on projects with her and art projects. We made a bulletin board, a weather chart, did science experiments and just fun art projects. After we would do these I would explain that this was what my idea of HS'ing her was like, doing things like this. That really peeked her interest, also during summer break we spent a ton of time with her firends, met some great hs'ed kids and hung out with them, talked about doing things with them for hs. Then at the end of summer break we went to visit my family in Fl. I explained it was possible for us to make this trip because she would be hs'ed. By this time she was 90% into wanting to do hs, the trip did not bring in the other 10%, but it was a nice distraction.We still battle every once in awhile with her talking about PS. But we made a promise to each, to give it at least one year together, I really believe she will still want to hs next school year. She says more times that she loves HS, I am her best teacher, she has so much fun and it was a good idea, she has so much more pride in her work to and has noticed that about herself. For my dd it was just seeing what I had in mind. I think when I talked about it she imagined sitting at home in her desk, by herself for 8 hours doing school work. Now she sees the whole picture and loves it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
I agree that doing projects at home or out and about and then calling it "learning at home" could be effective. Maybe your daughter will get the idea that homeschooling isn't sitting at a desk all day like they do most of the time at school.

Like 2tadpoles, it's hard for me to imagine a kid wanting to go to school. This is terrible, but I've used school as a threat a couple times when my kids were being REALLY bad. "You can always GO TO SCHOOL if you want!" I wouldn't recommend it as a parenting technique, but it sure does work.
:
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top