Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am Tricia SAHM to Hope (3.5 years) and Jacob (about 20 months now). Jacob cosleeps. I'm still fairly content with cosleeping, but I am getting really tired of being required to be present for him to settle and fall asleep.
Since we weaned (partially by accident) when he was 15 months or so, he has fallen asleep by rubbing my tummy. Its definitely his comfort item...he even asks for it by name, "I want tummy." (Sort of endearing)

Anyway, even when I KNOW he is exhausted, it can take him an hour to settle down for a nights rest. During this time, he's touching my tummy, crawling all over me. I don't know why, but its wearing on me. Especially when I am home alone for bedtime and I know my daughter is needing my attention too.

Any suggestions for how to transition him to settling and falling asleep more solo? I did cosleep with my daughter but her transition from solo sleeping seemed easy. I don't want him to freak out which is what he does when I try to leave the room when he's settling.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I agree - by the end of the day I have NO PATIENCE for a restless 20 month old and lately DH has been putting the little one to sleep.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can you introduce a blanket or a stuffed animal? He could still use your tummy for comfort, but also hold onto the blanket/animal. Slowly, he might become attached to it. My 23 month old dd has a stuffed lamb (Aunt Ethel) who she goes everywhere with. Once in a while, bedtime is a struggle when Aunt Ethel can't be found, but if she's right beside her, she'll go off on her own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.