Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am exclusively breastfeeding.. I have tried putting the powder directly in her mouth but she gags. I have tried expressing milk so that I could dissolve the powder in that and then squirt it in her mouth, but I can't express. I don't have a pump. Any ideas?

· Registered
3,997 Posts
Why not put the probiotics in a little spoon of breastmilk? Latch her on to one breast, then when you milk lets down see if you can express some milk from the other side into a little cup. Also, try applying it to the nipple and having her suck it off. You can also get flavored/ and or liquid children's brands that are sometimes easier to get down.

Lastly, she will probably gag a little, as it is something that isn't breastmilk, and she's not used to it. As long as its gettin in there a little bit its good. She really only needs about the amount that would stick to the tip of your wet pinky- 2x a day.

Is this for thrush?

· Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mamakass, I am not saying my breastmilk is deficient in any way. She has a yeast rash and I am just figuring out my own systemic yeast problems.

I have tried putting powder on my nipples but she still gags.

I thought about the water, but is she too little for water like that? I don't want the probiotics that are in sweetened liquid. That seems to defeat the purpose of eradicating yeast in her body.

· Registered
4,420 Posts
When my dd and I were on antibiotics for staph infections after birth, she was 1 wk old. I was taking PB-8 and eating organic yogurt and just assumed that she would reep the benefit. Even if I were wrong about that, we both managed to get by w/o a secondary yeast infection

A 3 mo old isn't too young for a bit of water, it isn't like it will be any amount of liquid some might feel is enough to constitute a supplemental meal. The dropper idea seems to be a good idea.

Rhino makes a powder for children and I assume you have a children's powder. If you do mix some in water, taste it first to see what you think. Remember BM is sweet. It might be worth you time to look into manual expression www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Best to you both (and if my upping PB-8 is not going to affect my dd, someone please pm me or reply here about it, she is on antibiotics again at 8 mo).

· Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. That was easy.

I just nursed on one side, and pressed my other breast to get a little milk in a cup. Dissolved 1/16 of a tsp into it and used a dropped and put it in her mouth. She made a little face but swallowed it right down!

Duh! Wish I had thought of that before.

Does anybody know if 1/16 is enough? My bottle of Baby Jarrodophilus says 1/16 for newborns.

· Registered
3,997 Posts
Yeah, its probably fine. You can give it one more time during the day if you'd like. It won't hurt her, just might make her kind of gassy.

Quote:
just nursed on one side, and pressed my other breast to get a little milk in a cup. Dissolved 1/16 of a tsp into it and used a dropped and put it in her mouth. She made a little face but swallowed it right down!
Glad it worked!

· Registered
747 Posts
Good to see you got the probiotics going. My son had them from day 3 when we got back from the hospital. I would moisten my finger, put on the powder and gently press it into his mouth while he was nursing. We HAD to have them as my wife had a C-section, due to my son's enormous head in utero(I am 6'9", my wife is 6'2"--in the "State of Nature" we would have been "selected out") and his clean gut would have been populated by just about anything rather than the specific bacteria that humans need.
As you probably know the C-section requires the mother to be on antibiotics during recovery--this severely compromises her body's ability to colonize the infant.
We used Jarro and Ethical Nutrients acidophilus and bifidorum. I now culture the two as yogurts, and by the age of 2 1/2 my son has eaten a record of 5 6oz jars in a day-- of his own choosing. His immune system is gangbusters and he has never had any of the afflictions that are listed in the first post of "The Power of Probiotics" thread.

My purpose of this post, however, is to relay info that we have discovered in the course of the last few years. The digestive juices (in the stomach) of pregnant and lactating women are extremely powerful. In getting YOUR probiotic supplements (whether yogurt or powder) into your body it is very difficult for the bacteria to make it through the enhanced stomach acids.

What my wife does now is to take the yogurt whenever she wakes up in the early hours of the morning (between say 1 am and 6 am) when all digestive functions are basically shut down. With a couple of bananas (they have inulin-- a soluble fiber that feed the flora) a large cup of room-temp water (non-tap because of chlorine) and a form of flora, she gets a much better colonization.

Good luck,

Ray

· Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow Ray. Thank you so much. I wonder if I could do that first thing in the morning, about 7 am when we get up? I don't think I could bring myself to wake up any earlier..

Can I ask you to clarify something that you said-- about me taking probiotics making it difficult for bacteria to get through.. does that somehow affect the baby? How does this work? This is all very fascinating.

Do you think 1/16 of a tsp is enough for my 3 month old? Should I space it throughout the day, or give it in one dose? THANKS!

· Registered
1,395 Posts
nak
goodpoppa please share more! i had a c-section (not planned) and ended back in the hosp w/edo and on tons on antibiodies. i just read your prob thread and am going to get some 4 myself tonight. should i get some 4 satine also? this is all very new so please excuse my ignorance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.