Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dd2 is 2.5 and she is so, so attached to the pacifier. It is interfering with her pronunciation/speech and I would love to get rid of it altogether. I want to do it gently, because she is so attached to it. She practically has a nervous breakdown if there isn't one in her sight at all times. Any advice is welcome, thanks mamas!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I hope you get some good advice on the subject...I will be taking lots of notes !! My Ds has a serious addiction to his meme (pacifier) and I would love to get rid of it...just not sure how. It makes me wish that I hadn't used the darn thing in the first place

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
we have a great "getting rid of the pacifier" story! this is from a couple years ago now (he was about 3.5)

this morning, ds came to me holding one of my old cabbage patch dolls, and said, "mama, I have a great idea. let's cut this up, and put my na (his pacifier!) in it, and tape it shut and then I can snuggle it when I want it." I said, "ok, but maybe we can find a different thing to put it in" and he said he wanted a crocodile. So, I looked for a knitted croc pattern, but realized that by the time I finished it, this whim of his may be long gone. So I bought a stuffed crocodile today. We got home, he demanded that I cut it open (yay for seam rippers), he kissed his pacifier, tucked it in, I sewed it shut, he went to sleep with it no problem.

ok, back in the present now:
he still loves that crocodile, but he loses it often, so it's not the end of the world. In fact, he lost it a few days after I wrote out that story, and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This is a topic that arises all the time. If you check the archives you will find oh...maybe...a thousand threads on it. OK, maybe I exaggerate but only a little.

These threads always include:
1. Why do you want to take the pacifier away?
2. It's your problem not your child's
3. Why on MDC, when so many mama's want to follow the child's is this
an issue where parents want to take an action involving the child
that the child clearly doesn't want
4. Taking it away suddenly is traumatic
5. The debate on whether a paci affects speech development
6. The debate on whether it affects dental development
7. The suggestions that you cut a hole in the tip and that you have a visit
from the binky fairy
And probably others that I forgot to list

As for me, I'm in the don't-take-the-binky-away camp. My DD is 3.5 y/o and still uses a binky to sleep. She used to have one 24/7 but began to use it less and less all on her own. Recently she stopped using it in the car. Now she uses it only to sleep. I'm fine with that. DD does not have sleep issues so I don't want to mess with a good thing. She has an excellent vocabulary and no dental issues. She's such a happy, amiable girl who has never had a tantrum and I feel no need or desire to push something along that is happening on it's own.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We got rid of the paci when DS was 2.5. His aunt was pregnant and we suggested he might want to give his paci to the new baby since he was getting so big. He thought that was a great idea so we boxed them up and took them to the post office and that was that. We talked about about how generous he was and he just puffed up with pride. He was ready to let them go, but just needed a reason. HTH and good luck!

·
Registered
770 Posts
i haven't tried it because my dd was a thumb-sucker and didn't use a paci... however, i know many people who've put a small slit in it and then when the child sucks it doesn't feel the same. friends who've done that said their little one who was so addicted to the paci just looked at it and then tossed it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
:

I tandemed with my younger two, and used a paci with my daughter to alleviate a little bit of that special kind of madness. She seems to be getting more attached to them as she gets older, but as of now, she doesn't seem to want one during the day unless she sees one. So maybe do your best to keep them up and out of sight, and only give one if asked for? "Out of sight, out of mind" seems to be working well for us thus far (knock on wood). I've found, too, that if she's just super-tired at bedtime I can get her to sleep without her paci.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by verde View Post
This is a topic that arises all the time. If you check the archives you will find oh...maybe...a thousand threads on it. OK, maybe I exaggerate but only a little.

These threads always include:
1. Why do you want to take the pacifier away?
2. It's your problem not your child's
3. Why on MDC, when so many mama's want to follow the child's is this
an issue where parents want to take an action involving the child
that the child clearly doesn't want
4. Taking it away suddenly is traumatic
5. The debate on whether a paci affects speech development
6. The debate on whether it affects dental development
7. The suggestions that you cut a hole in the tip and that you have a visit
from the binky fairy
And probably others that I forgot to list

As for me, I'm in the don't-take-the-binky-away camp. My DD is 3.5 y/o and still uses a binky to sleep. She used to have one 24/7 but began to use it less and less all on her own. Recently she stopped using it in the car. Now she uses it only to sleep. I'm fine with that. DD does not have sleep issues so I don't want to mess with a good thing. She has an excellent vocabulary and no dental issues. She's such a happy, amiable girl who has never had a tantrum and I feel no need or desire to push something along that is happening on it's own.
Haha, thanks. Honestly, I wouldn't care much at all but in her case it IS affecting her speech. She has a large vocabulary and speaks in full sentences (and paragraphs!) but most people (besides immediate family) can't understand her. She also does have 'binky mouth', where her top and bottom front teeth don't touch if she's clenching her molars & back teeth closed. Her dentist said this should correct itself once the binky is gone, as long as it's gone before she's 3.5-4.

She wants it 24/7. I've been trying to wean her to just using it at night but she is having none of that! I've started introducing the idea that 'the binky fairy' might have to come one of these days but I definitely don't want to just take it away cold-turkey as it's her only security object.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
taking cues from older posts we decided to tell her that the little black bird that was singing on our terrace wants it and because she's a baby she needs it more than her. dd was about 2 then. she was all too happy to give it to the baby bird. we wrapped it in gift wrapping paper and left it in the terrace. we replaced that with present for her. and we thought that was that. but no. she wailed for it for a few nights. i would have given it back to her earlier but, she wud sound happy about it and come sleep time she wud cry. i thought it was going to pass in a couple of nights. finally, she said that she wants it back from the bird. nyways, what that did is that she doesn't use it anymore in the car or at any other time other than nap or sleep time. and recently she has been taking it out of her mouth when she wakes up in the mornings and places it on the kitchen platform to be washed.

It's just a nuisance mostly, so i wanted to take it away from her. she loses it and wants me to find it. and earlier she msiplaced it all the time or left them at grandparents and we would forget to pick them up.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with this - DD stopped using one when she was still an infant - but I do know some people who do.

One person I know installed a small hook near their son's bed. They hung the pacifier on the hook and told him he was only allowed to use it in bed. There were times that he'd dash into his room for a quick "hit" off the pacifier in his bed, but other than that he was fine.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
i read a cute story the other day similar to the crocodile one posted, but it was going to build a bear and putting the binky inside before they sewed it up...

im not sure how i feel about them yet... ds isnt 2 yet, and sometimes will go all day without one unless hes sleeping.... but other days its in his mouth all day. i do try to take it out when hes talking, because he doesnt have a big vocabulary yet, and i want to be able to understand what he says, lol....

hes not ready to give them up yet, although some days im more than ready to throw them all out of the window

1 - 13 of 13 Posts