Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we've decided that our daughter is ready for some homeschooling. She's been independently doing some workbooks for about a year now (at HER choice), asking questions like crazy, and she just seems to want a little bit of structure. I'm a planner, so I want to have something that tells me "this is what you should expect at this level". I'm thinking we'll be eclectic in our approach, some unschooling, some curriculum based, so I don't intend to follow it completely, but I would like to have something to assure me we're covering the basics.

I've considered a few different curriculums, and want to know if anyone uses one they love for kindergarten/first graders. How do you determine which one your child is in? I don't want to go by age, but by ability. DD is reading with excellent comprehension, can "read in her mind" (without saying the words aloud) and is currently working on the Magic Treehouse (independently with some review by me) and the Little House on the Prairie Series (which we read together aloud). Her reading ability is far ahead of her other skills, so I don't want to jump in at too high of a level, but the kindergarten expectations seem fairly low compared to where she is. Thus, the eclectic approach will probably work best for us.

Does anyone have a Yahoo group they like? What resources do you use? Or do you stick to this board? I've seen the links posted at the top of this forum, and am working my way through them. LOTS of stuff to get through.

Thanks for your guidance!

·
Registered
50 Posts
<sigh> We used to live in Tallahassee and I loved it down there. Still miss it. Let me guess - it's still green down there isn't it? Our trees are beautiful at the moment, but in a week or so, it will be nothing but gray until April.

Sorry about the hijack.

I'd suggest you look at Before Five in a Row and see what you think of it. I haven't used it personally, but like some of the ideas they use. It's a nice, fairly easy transition into "schooling." I've also looked at (and bought) a few of the "What Your XX Grader Ought To Know" series. They're designed to be a supplement to public schools, so fun stuff in them, but totally at the parent's discretion. Those might give you a start. Enjoy!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, mostly still green. Kind of dry, though, so there's a lot of brown grass that will probably recover. My azalea bushes are looking *very* sad these days. Time to get out the sprinkler.

I've looked at the Five in a Row stuff before. May be time to revisit and look at Before Five in a Row.

Just found a "What your First Grader Ought to Know" on Ebay. Hope I win it! I was looking at something at Borders today, and can't remember what it was. I'm digging around on the website, but there are sooo many books, it's hard to know where to start. What I really liked about this book was that it broke things down week by week, day by day and gave goals and study plans. I don't necessarily intend to follow it, but it's nice to have a guideline. If I could only remember the title, then I could ask for reviews, darn it! Guess I have to go back tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.