Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids are in Th and Th grades and we have just moved. It was a very spur of the minute move so we didn't have time to research schools. Now that we are here, the schools haven't made their "AYP" ever and I haven't had one parent compliment the schools. Not a good sign. SO I am trying to decide if I could afford to home school my kids and if so where do I get started. I was home schooled in High School, but it was a correspondence school and it was very pricey. If I start this, I will always continue it. I just don't know how and where. Can anyone help?
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I know Lillian will be answering this thread, and you'll get a lot of great advice from her. My suggestions would be to start with that information, A to Z's Home's Cool, and the library. It's very possible to homeschool very cheaply or very expensive, however you want to do it. I think our total outlay this year was around $200, with curricula, regular school supplies, and other goodies. Last year I was spending roughly $600 a month with two children. I learned better!

I didn't catch your children's grades, but if you post them again, I'm sure the folks on here could give some help with grade specific work.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
I know Lillian will be answering this thread...
Gee, whatever would make you think that?!

Here's a link to a recent post that has a lot of getting started info. I'd take time to reword it for you, but I'm running out the door, and it does have links to all the pertinent stuff. I see that I forgot to put in a link to my own site, though, and that has a lot of supportive advice in the form of articles, links to good ones in other sites, and links to some good resources: BestHomeschooling.org

Homeschooling needn't be expensive, by the way - and there are some MDC threads here about that - I'll look around and see if I have a link to one when I get back.
Lillian

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Things will vary greatly depending on your state, almost as much as the grades/ages of your children. For example, if your younger child didn't/doesn't turn eight until after September 1 of this year (2007) and you live in PA but your child has never been enrolled in school here (and by "school" I mean first grade or above) then you're not legally required to do anything in order to homeschool. There are lots of great resources out there, though, and I wanted to say that yes, you can afford to homeschool even if your budget *squeaks*.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.