Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for posting this in birth rather then loss but this is a surviving labor question and most people don't go though this level of physical hell during an early loss.

I've been going though a m/c from hell for almost 2 weeks now. I thought maybe I was off the hook finally because its been a couple days with just bleeding and while the cramps were strong I felt no pain thanks to drugs. I've gone though full labor 3
times so far because my uterus keeps filling up with blood clots and I cant get anyone to do a
D&C because I show no signs of infection and they see no fetal remains on u/s, just huge blood clots. Anyway, tonight the cramps are getting intense again and they seem to get worse with each episode. I've already taken the max amount of drugs available to me at home (500mg Naproxen, Vicadin & extra strength Tylenol but that was for the headache I've had for several hours). Last time they ended up giving me a vicadin then 3 shots of Demerol in an hour which dimmed the pain and knocked me out (at that point I didn't care! I'd never felt so much pain my life! I litterally felt like someone was cutting into me with a hot knife) Anyway, I should have asked earlier but HOW do I get through the pain without screaming (and waking up dd)? I know about warm baths, going to burn a CD of a song that tends to draw you into the music in almost a trance state and set it for repeat. I've also had back labor everytime. The pain starts in the uterus, spreads around my hips to my back. (I thought back labor was caused by a baby in a bad position?!) Right now the contrax are about 3 min apart and lasting about 30 seconds and I'm starting to feel nausea starting a little bit which tells me I've got about 2 hours left and that's when things get rough. Right now there more bearable then last time but I think that's because I took drugs as soon as I realized the contrax were regular and starting to hurt. I doubt anyone will be able to answer me tonight since its like 1am but I figure I can always use the advice for the next time! oh yeah, can someone please explain to me why the heck I have to pee so much when this happens? I'm not talking a little tinkle but I drank a 32oz big gulp an hour ago kinda pee!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am sorry you are going through all of this. I don't have the answers for you. Hoping someone else will. (My one and only birth ended with an epidural. So I hardly qualify as someone who could give you the necessary advice.) Sending you a

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Satori I am so sorry you have to go through all of this!! The only suggestion I have for you is finding someone to help you through this by being with you in a doula type role where they can massage your back where you hurt and so on. Is there someone you can ask to help you?

Sending lots of love and light your way...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think you would handle it the same way you do a live birth. Focus inward, deep breathes, talk to your body and listen to what it needs. I would actually try to avoid the drugs if you can because I think that would diminsh your abilty to read your body's cues. I know that may not be possible, but just a thought. I had severe labor pains with my early loss, although it was just once, I didn't have to endure it again and again. It stands to reason that if you keep getting large clots you may have a slight hemorrage. I would definately try to seek a second opinion, perhaps try some shepard's purse. Also, be sure you're eating plenty of green leafy's to keep your blood supply up or you're going to start feeling awful in that department too... (hugs) I hope this is over for you soon.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
sorry to hear you are having so much trouble and having so much pain

are you drinking enough fluids and eating?
I am thinking specifically homemade soup with carrots, celery, garlic, onions , potato -- meat or chicken if you want
hot baths or showers
I would recommend something to help contract the uterus like
wild cotton root bark tincture with something to reduce the bleeding like yarrow tincture
( contracting the uterus will help to reduce the bleeding that is leading to the clots and help the clot move out the yarrow will help slow the bleeding and it is anti-inflammatory too)
also you might want to drink some ginger tea or ginger brew as it is warming and anti-inflammatory too

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
you are dealing with so, so much!!

2 years ago i went through a natural miscarriage. i wish i had known about raspberry leaf tea, or the cohoshes back then! it took my body 4 months total to cleanse itself, just when i thought i'd been through the worst of it and i'd have a few good days, it'd start over again. blood clots forming, just like you've described. the worst was when the placenta detached, i felt tearing pains and heavy contractions (back then i had no idea they were contractions, but now that i've birthed, i look back with new eyes). my bleeding got heavy enough that i had to go to the hospital, and they helped me by using a clamp to pull some tissue that was stuck in my cervix. then the pain subsided, and the bleeding gradually slowed. i got pregnant 8 months later, so i know i made the right decision to do it naturally, i feel like a d&c was too risky (infection, scarring, etc.)

how i got through it was: i kept having this urge to get down on my hands and knees, and have my belly pressing against something. like a pile of pillows, or the edge of the bed. then i would just rock, rock, rock on all fours. it also helped to squat on my physioball (now my birthing ball) and rock back and forth. sometimes i just plain screamed. i wish i had known to vocalize in a lower, deeper pitch instead of a high pitch! low vocalizations keep your body looser.

basically anything that works for birthing, works for miscarrying. perhaps you can also picture your body cleansing and healing, leading you through its natural process, so that you can "start over" with a healthy uterus? that helped me. but really, just keep doing things that make you feel comfortable!! and go straight to the ER when you're soaking more than one pad an hour (or whatever you've been advised). also if you get a fever that doesn't go away with fluids and a tepid shower or bath.

will you update us, if you feel up to it?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i second Thmom about the meds ... i had percocet for when it got so bad i couldn't lay still to sleep and was getting strung out. but for the most part i used ibuprofen for anti-inflammatory, and nothing else. i didn't want to be foggy from meds and miss any warning symptoms that i should go to the ER.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellybean
just when i thought i'd been through the worst of it and i'd have a few good days, it'd start over again. blood clots forming, just like you've described. the worst was when the placenta detached, i felt tearing pains and heavy contractions
Thats what i've been going though! I felt the placenta detach the 1st night though, it was what started the whole thing and was actually the least painful part to me.

Quote:
how i got through it was: i kept having this urge to get down on my hands and knees, and have my belly pressing against something. like a pile of pillows, or the edge of the bed. then i would just rock, rock, rock on all fours. it also helped to squat on my physioball (now my birthing ball) and rock back and forth. sometimes i just plain screamed. i wish i had known to vocalize in a lower, deeper pitch instead of a high pitch! low vocalizations keep your body looser.

I found standing up leaning over the hospital bed was the least painful position for me, sitting or anything like it hurt like heck. I was literally going though various birth positions in my mind in-between contractions to try with the next one and standing/leaning was the only one that worked. I found moaning did help but at the peak I ended up screaming which made it worse but it was like "what can I do?" the pain was just to intense. This last labor I tried pressure points that seemed to really help. oh yeah, according to my OB, "you dont go into labor for a m/c" umm yeah, ok, you go though this and then tell me its not flippin labor!

Quote:
basically anything that works for birthing, works for miscarrying. perhaps you can also picture your body cleansing and healing, leading you through its natural process, so that you can "start over" with a healthy uterus? that helped me. but really, just keep doing things that make you feel comfortable!! and go straight to the ER when you're soaking more than one pad an hour (or whatever you've been advised). also if you get a fever that doesn't go away with fluids and a tepid shower or bath.
The idiots told me to come back if I was soaking more then 3 pads in 3 hours, I was soaking a heavy duty overnight pad every 15 minutes when they sent me home. I immediately took Sheppard's purse when I got home and it got the bleeding under control. Of course when I told the OB she thought I was nuts and that no herb could work that well

Quote:
will you update us, if you feel up to it?
I seem to be doing much better today, still passing icky rubbery clots but I haven't taken any pain meds at all since 11pm last night. My stomach size went way down and I was able to easily fit into my pre-prego jeans today and I found walking actually helped me feel better so I did a couple hours of that. The only pain i've felt was from being on Vicadin for the last 2 weeks which has left things a little, ummm, backed up. I tried my usual trick of hot tea and peppermint patties and it got things moving really fast, now i'm just praying its the tea and mints and not the prelude to another labor! lol
at least I can laugh about it a bit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts