Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 yo. has pink eye and will not allow me to administer eye drops. He screams, kicks, hides, squirms, and squeezes his eyes shut so tightly I'd need a pry bar to get them open.

I really need some advice about how to handle this. If we don't do the drops, then he can't be around his cousins for Christmas this weekend.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You can lie him on his back and put the drops on the inside corner of his closed lids. As long as he doesnt' wipe them off and opens his eyes before sitting up, enough will get in to do what needs to be done.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
This may or may not be helpful to you: Doing it while they're nursing makes it easier. Well, it worked for us. Not knowing if your 4yo is nursing ...

And another suggestion ... while he's sleeping.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He weaned in April. But when he had this last time, I did nurse him at the same time.

I did what Sleet suggested -- it didn't seem like very much went in. Mostly it seemed to roll down his cheek. But I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I had to get an eye cup from the drug store to keep the eye drops in place until my child would open her eye. I would put the eye drops in the inner corner of the eye & then cover with the eye cup. When the child opens there eye; (even just a bit) the drops get in there. All of my four had pink eye the same week. It was an awful week.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried bribing with soda. He wriggled away, grabbed the open bottle of eye drops, flung them behind a chair and then raced all around the house with me chasing him. I caught him, held him down, forced the eye drops. Then he asked for soda and I said "no." I told him the soda was for cooperation, but he didn't cooperate. And I told him he'd get another chance to cooperate with eye drops later. He has been throwing a full out tantrum for 20 minutes now about that damn soda.

Not my most shining moment. This is the week from hell. Our relationship has become pure hell over these eye drops.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I just remembered something else...

I was only able to do it with my husband's help. No way could I get them in myself. My husband had to pin the kid & I put in the drops. I was also able to sneak some drops in while they slept. I was desperate.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
When my DD had pink eye, instead of drops the pediatrician gave me a prescription for an ointment. She told me to squeeze the ointment along the tops of her eyelashes while she was sleeping and it would seep in. It worked like a charm!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
When your child has both an ear infection and pink eye, please please please make sure that you don't put the ear drops in his eye!!

(I can tell you from personal experience that it hurts like ... well, you know what!)

Namaste!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharmamama
When your child has both an ear infection and pink eye, please please please make sure that you don't put the ear drops in his eye!!

(I can tell you from personal experience that it hurts like ... well, you know what!)

Oh jeez!!!!

His eyes are better and since DH took over the eye drop administration for the last few days, we're getting along better now.

Of course, now *I* Have pink eye in BOTH eyes and much worse than the kids had it. Its *awful.*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.