Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm facing a dilema regarding jury duty... I was called back in Jan '06 but ds#2 was 15m and still nursing quite a bit so I took my one postponement and was rescheduled for Feb 28th of last month. Well I'm 37 weeks pregnant and have horrible sciatic pain when I sit for a long time so my OB wrote a note to the court and they said they could only reschedule it for 3 more months (June 5th) and I would HAVE TO GO. So now I'm going to have an 8week old baby (or younger if I go late which all 3 dc have been) to worry about. I was told over the phone when they gave me the June date that they do let nursing moms pump but I'm not sure they understand it'll be every 1 1/2 -2 hrs as if I was nursing the baby.... I don't want to have to worry about getting him on a bottle of EBM that young since I'm a SAHM and don't really have a need to have him on a bottle at all. I'm actually thinking of having dh come with all the kids (8,6,2 1/2, and baby) and just nursing him every 1 1/2 hr. Think they'ld want to keep me then
I have this bad feeling that since I've "postponed" it twice already they'll really want to keep me for some stupid reason.... and it's not that I don't want to do it... I always though it would be cool but the time is just not right now. I've been looking at this site http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.org/ and it looks like Mass pretty much doesn't have this
I want to get a bunch of moms to write asking that they set this up. They have an "example" type letter on the site of what to write but who would I send it to? Just the courts.... like the judge even sees it. Who would I send it to in legislation? I have no idea who to send it to?? Any ideas? Anyone ever done anything like this and can point me in the right direction? I don't think this should just pertain to nursing moms either.... all moms of young children whether nursing or not shouldn't have to worry about finding childcare or having their dh or partner take time off (usually unpaid) or hiring a sitter. Other states have it... WHY DON'T WE?!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I agree we should have that.

FWIW, I think if you show up, you've done your duty. The time I was called and deferred until I couldn't anymore I was in college, I had a midterm that afternoon. I went down there and went up and explained I had a midterm and they let me go - but it wasn't a deferrment, I had showed up so it counted.

Maybe if you show up with your baby and say 'hey, got a baby here, etc' they might just say go home and you'd be done. It probably depends greatly on the person at the desk though. Does it say anywhere that you have to find childcare? I mean, what happens if you bring the newborn in a sling?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hey i'm all for that! I got my postponement date coming up in June and my dh will have to take a day off from work just for that, which stinks. i'll send in a letter just need to know where to

I say just go in with the baby and maybe someone else and just say, well i need to be excuse when the baby gets hungry because baby won't take a bottle and bf is the only way. i'm sure they'd excuse you for that.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
No...do NOT go with your baby/child! The court can TAKE your child and then give you lots of trouble about it!!!!!!!!!!!! (they told my friend that they would just hold her baby while she went in to try to get out of jury duty...but then they refused to give her the baby (and older child) back. This happened to my longtime friend (she was single and had two kids at the time). The court reported her to (to dss or whatever it was called back then). It was insane.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
No...do NOT go with your baby/child! The court can TAKE your child and then give you lots of trouble about it!!!!!!!!!!!! (they told my friend that they would just hold her baby while she went in to try to get out of jury duty...but then they refused to give her the baby (and older child) back. This happened to my longtime friend (she was single and had two kids at the time). The court reported her to (to dss or whatever it was called back then). It was insane.
I'ld definately have dh come with me and the kids... I'm too afraid to go by myself with the baby for that very reason! My reason is why should I have to get a newborn baby on a bottle JUST for jury duty... if they say they'll dismiss me to pump then they can dismiss me to nurse the baby. Dh would be there to walk around with the kids, thankfully it'll be June and nice outside... there's plenty for them to walk around and see downtown and he can just bring me the baby .

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Ooh, that's great that you'd be able to have dh bring the kids. I am single and didn't have that option. They didn't give a hoot that I was breastfeeding and was the sole caregiver for my son. And that I was on welfare and couldn't afford a babysitter, etc etc. The MA court system s*cks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time! I was called for jury duty in May '06, but postponed it because my DD was nursing. I was told at that point that I could postpone it for up to a year and if she was still nursing, I could get a note from her pediatrician which would excuse me. Well, I'm now pregnant and my DD is only nursing at night, so I went ahead and did jury duty a few weeks ago when my husband had a day off of work (just in case there was a glitch at the last minute - I didn't want to have to go this May when I'm 8 months pregnant).

Could you call again and double check whether or not being a nursing mom is a valid reason to get out of it? Maybe the person you dealt with before was just being difficult. Maybe if you asked to speak to a supervisor?

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.