Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...gonna sound weird probably, but my 2 month old is learning to be quite content when she lays by herself (with us in the room of course) and I want to know how to feel ok with not holding her...even though I usually HAVE to hold her all day and night. I know it can help her learn to put herself to sleep if she begins to feel that we are there for her even if we're not holding her...but my heart just likes having her close...even though my body is taking a beating.

I currently have tendonitis in my right shoulder because of holding her constantly. It helps when I don't do anything with that arm so I SHOULD be glad she is learning to entertain herself...but I just feel like I'm becoming "not needed" anymore.

Ah well...I suppose there's not much I can do unless I want my arm to continue hurting.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
I remember ds going through a stage like that. It lasted what seemed like forever. He wouldn't even really notice if we left the room for a couple minutes, say in a child-safe living room while I grabbed a glass of water from the kitchen. It felt really odd. I tried to remember that he was my perfect guide in how to parent him, and that if he needed me to hold him, he would let me know. If he was content to play, no biggie. Remember that plenty of babies with older siblings end up playing without being held a lot of times.

He's never been an especially cuddly kid. He's very active and into everything. He's liked being held at times, but also likes to be down exploring as well. But now at 15 months, he is starting to gain more independence so he is starting to rely on me more as his secure base. For the first time ever, in the last couple months, he's started come sit on my lap for brief breaks while playing. Before, if he was playing, he was happy. When he was done, he'd let me know so I could take care of his other needs. Now, he goes back and forth between my lap and his games, sometimes multiple times over a couple minutes.

I love the above post by fsm. So true.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I'm honestly confused by your post. If your baby is happy and content, what is there to NOT feel ok about? Your babe is obviously content because she knows you are near and will come to her when she needs you. Seems to me you must have done everything right!

Babies thrive on being held and worn. But not all of them need or want it constantly. Rest that arm...and don't worry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts