Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information for opting out of vaccinations for the state of Louisiana? My sister is moving there and is interested in finding the information but I am not sure how to go about finding it? Does it matter that her kids will be in private school - or do they still require kids to be vaccinated for private school as well?

Thanks in advance
Ashley

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by arweaver02 View Post
Does anyone have any information for opting out of vaccinations for the state of Louisiana? My sister is moving there and is interested in finding the information but I am not sure how to go about finding it? Does it matter that her kids will be in private school - or do they still require kids to be vaccinated for private school as well?

Thanks in advance
Ashley
LA has all 3 exemptions for immunizations -- medical, religious, and philsophical. Unfortunately, only PUBLIC schools are required to accept them. As you are well aware of, with the worst public school system in the country, that's not very do-able in LA....you can attempt to use the exemption in a private school, but they are not required to accept them. You'll have to talk to each school to find out.

I'm in Baton Rouge. We're praying on getting very, very lucky with LSU Laboratory School (since it's LSU, it's public), or Baton Rouge Center for Visual & Performing Arts (best rated elementary magnet). Those are the only two public schools we would EVER consider. Even the rest of the magnet and gifted programs are supposed to be pretty horrible. The Catholic schools I've already communicated with and they all say NO to exemptions. Same with the more exclusive private schools, except for one -- THE very most expensive & exclsuive private school in BR did say yes, but I don't see how we could pay for TWO to go there (at around $14,000/year per child by senior year!!) unless they can get some kind of scholarship or something. I highly doubt we qualify for financial aid of any kind.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If the school accepts any public funding, it is required to accept a philosophical exemption. If the school is entirely private, they can choose not to accept the philosophical exemption, but I've not had that experience. I have had my child in both entirely private programs and 100% public programs and not had any issue with my exemption being accepted. It's not a matter of being lucky, it's a matter of knowing that LA law allows a philosophical exemption (period).

This is what I turned in all three times for our exemption:

"Statement of Exemption:

Under Louisiana Revised Statutes 17:170 Sec E, I hereby claim exemption from the immunization requirement for Philosophical/Personal reasons.

(Insert your statement of dissent for philosophical/personal reasons.)

I understand that in the event of an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease at the location of the educational institution or facility the student attends, the administrators of the educational institution or facility, upon the recommendation of the office of public health, may exclude the student from attendance until the incubation period has expired or I present evidence of immunization.

_____________________________ Student signature

_____________________________ Date

_____________________________ Parent or Guardian's signature (if required)"

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
If the school accepts any public funding, it is required to accept a philosophical exemption. If the school is entirely private, they can choose not to accept the philosophical exemption, but I've not had that experience. I have had my child in both entirely private programs and 100% public programs and not had any issue with my exemption being accepted. It's not a matter of being lucky, it's a matter of knowing that LA law allows a philosophical exemption (period).

This is what I turned in all three times for our exemption:

"Statement of Exemption:

Under Louisiana Revised Statutes 17:170 Sec E, I hereby claim exemption from the immunization requirement for Philosophical/Personal reasons.

(Insert your statement of dissent for philosophical/personal reasons.)

I understand that in the event of an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease at the location of the educational institution or facility the student attends, the administrators of the educational institution or facility, upon the recommendation of the office of public health, may exclude the student from attendance until the incubation period has expired or I present evidence of immunization.

_____________________________ Student signature

_____________________________ Date

_____________________________ Parent or Guardian's signature (if required)"

I'm sorry, but this is simply not correct. It is entirely a private school's discretion if they accept immunization exemptions of ANY kind -- be it medical, religious, or philosophical. Period. Most private schools do not receive any federal funding.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I wanted to add, too, that my comment about "getting lucky" was about getting admission to LSU Lab School. Absolutely nothing to do with an exemption. Since it is a public school, they are obviously required to accept exemptions.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
KnowerofNada, you're making an incorrect assumption that I said medical and religious are automatically accepted, which I didn't. I was posting about philosophical ONLY, which is the only exemption that I have experience with.

I guess they could choose not to accept a religious or medical exemption, but then they have to know that they're going to face a discrimination suit. And really, if a school isn't willing to respect your desires for your child's health care, do you want your child to be educated by them? REALLY?

FWIW to the OP, I posted my experience with PHILOSOPHICAL exemption for my children, who are of school age. And really, when you have a philosophical exemption, the other two don't matter all that much. My experiences (3) and my friend's experiences have all been good with vax exemptions. I've never had a problem or met anyone who had a problem and I don't think your sister should expect a problem either.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Actually, legally she's right. Private schools can refuse anything they wish. I'm glad that it's worked for you, but it's not a universal by any means.

-Angela
Exactly, thanks. Plus as I stated, nearly every single private school I have communicated with -- the exception being the most exclusive school in town which is prohibitively expensive -- have stated they will not accept any of the three exemptions. We're in quite a dilemma. Hence hoping we're lucky enough to get her into LSU Lab School (very, very tough to do this, as anyone who lives here knows).

ETA To the OP -- It is general consensus in the non-vax community that the philosophical exemption is the most dangerous kind to use. You are much better off using a religious exemption, even if you don't have any specific religion you are claiming or subscribing to. Please post to the vax forum for further opinion on this matter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.