Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been months maybe even a year since DS2 (2,5yo) has been in the cupboards with all our music CDs and DVDs. It's an everyday issue, several times daily. It makes me so tired and frustrated. It's a cupboard which also holds our HIFI installation, and with a glass front that closes with a magnet, and it doesn't close that well anymore either. It includes adult as well as children's movies/music. I've been trying to lock it in many different ways since he just keeps on digging in the CDs, opening boxes, damaging boxes, has even been damaging some CDs by handling them (let's say fingerprint/scratch damage) and broke a couple. When he was younger he just did it out of fascination for the cupboards' contents, but he does it more and more for selecting a CD he wants to watch (often as soon as he gets downstairs
)

I don't think removing all the CDs to another place is an option: 1. no other safer place close by players available, 2. we already removed so much non*childproof stuff from our living room by now that we won't remove any more, 3. IMO he should learn that some things in the house he's allowed to handle and some not, some are 'parents only', that he may (and already did) damage stuff, and definitely that he cannot expect to be allowed to watch movies whenever he wants or all the time.

I did try locks like a so-called childproof corner lock, which he opened pretty soon, several strips of broad tape, which he opens, a cord tied around the whole cupboard that you must slip upwards to be able to open the door, and a combination of all 3 of them. It's just useless.

Its really wearing me out. I've told him one thousand and 11 times (probably more
) that he's not allowed to open it or handle the CDs, and why (that things get broken or damaged, and that it's just sth his parents will handle also if THEY want to watch something.

I have the feeling I tried everything, without result. And really, he is allowed to watch a movie more often than I originally allowed. So it's not something forbidden, only limited, supervised, and in consensus with other family members.

Yes, it's partly a control issue, but I personally find that eg regarding damaging/not respecting property, there should be some house rules set.

DS1 who is 2y older never really did this and understands these rules and mostly goes along with them, and he deals with things carefully so I wouldn't even mind so much if he would occasionally handle a CD. But for the sake of 'example' I don't let him right now.

DS2 is in many more things in our home. But taking the CDs out is sth that bothers me most.

· Registered
2,642 Posts
Have you tried these: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2969585 ? We just got a ton and put them on everything - kitchen cabinets that are singletons (so don't have another handle for more traditional cabinet locks), closet doors that he manages to get open b/c they don't close tight, and all the drawers on my sewing table. If you used these to close 2 doors, I don't think a toddler could get them open, unless the adhesive didn't work properly.

· Registered
403 Posts
Could you give him a small collection that would be HIS? I'm thinking a separate little box in or right next to the cabinet, that would hold CDs and DVDs just for him (or for both boys.) You could even get really cheap ones at a secondhand store. Even if they weren't really playable, but just for him to explore. It may be the fact that they are 'forbidden' items that is making them so enticing.

My DS (just turned 2.5) is pretty good about only touching his CDs and leaving ours alone. Then if/when he damages them, he knows it's his music that's messed up or will no longer play.

· Registered
6,582 Posts
We had already put our movies and cds into the big binders before DS was born (thank goodness!!). We also have the big straps to keep the drawer closed on our entertainment center. Works like a charm!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...20080809_2.jpg (look at the white things on the sides of the drawer at the bottom. AWESOME! They're like little buckles and work great for things that regular latches don't work on.)

· Registered
767 Posts
we moved all of our into binders too. I kept the boxes for awhile and when it was time for a movie I would tell him to pick it out. So he would look at the boxes and tell me which one. After awhile we have thrown out the boxes and the kids just tell me what they want to see.

Really it isn't worth the hassle put them in one binder or two and keep it out of reach.

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3901sca View Post
We had already put our movies and cds into the big binders before DS was born (thank goodness!!). We also have the big straps to keep the drawer closed on our entertainment center. Works like a charm!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...20080809_2.jpg (look at the white things on the sides of the drawer at the bottom. AWESOME! They're like little buckles and work great for things that regular latches don't work on.)

One of the problems is that he's tricky enough to find out how to open laches :-( The binder idea is ok, we also have a lot of our CDs just in a round CD-container for space issues. But the main problem is that we have no other free storage in the Living room where he can't reach.
I am seeiously thinking to get us a real chain and lock

Another thing: yesterday Ds cut the kitchen cupboard because he found a knife and was proud to cut
. I'd already moved the knives but now I put them in a bowl in the upper kitchen cupboard. Our life is getting real difficult :).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.