Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i hae a ton of wool and was told making washcloths with it was not a great idea- what about a littl mat for in frount of the door? i was thinking of making it all the one color i have - anyone know how I woulkd do it? woult i just knit the whole thing to the size i want and thats it?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
You could knit i-cord and then coil it together for an oval or round rug. Or you could knit it and felt it. Or just knit it and maybe pick some interesting stitch patterns for each section or something.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My first thought was i-cord coiled into a rug, or even multiple strands of i-cord braided together and then coiled into a rug. If you are going to do that, I highly recommend one of those i-cord machines. I have <a href="http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2065&PRODID=prd22430" target="_blank">this one</a>, which I bought when it was on sale 1/2 price at Joanns. But you can always use one of the 40% off coupons for it. I am not sure what weight your wool is. The directions for this machine say it is not supposed to be used for worsted weight, only lighter weights. I have not tried worsted weight in it yet. I can not believe how quickly you can make i-cord with this thing. I cranked out 5 or 6 feet with the test yarn it came with in a matter of 5 or 6 minutes. I did take me a while to figure out how to properly load the yarn into it.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
for something as high wear as a rug for the front door, I'd defintiely go with something felted. Otherwise, it will wear out very quickly. I'd double (or triple) strand it on BIG needles (like, 17's) and just knit a big garter stitch rectangle, then toss it in teh washer and dryer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts