Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, would yall mind posting your broth recipes? I'm interested in chicken, beef, and vegge broths. I'm a BIG bouin cube and powder broth user and I want it to stop! (It's incredibly addictive). Also if there are any tips or tricks, please share!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Here's one for <a href="http://www.rebuild-from-depression.com/simplechange/meat/meat/bonebroth.html" target="_blank">bone broth</a> and one for <a href="http://www.rebuild-from-depression.com/simplechange/produce/produce/vegbroth.html" target="_blank">veggie broth</a>

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
For chicken: I take a carcass from a roast chicken or collect bones until I feel like I have enough. Add to pot with filtered water and boil on the lowest boil possible for 12-24 hours (I go for as long as I can). Strain the big stuff, reduce by half. Strain with a fine mesh strainer or clean towel and fridge or freeze. I add celtic sea salt to it when I use it. The meat leftovers go into my cuisinart for the dogs.<br><br>
Beef: put raw bones in roasting pan, maybe add an onion or carrot but not necessary. Roast (450 or so) until brown. Alternately, save cooked bones and use them (like from steaks and roasts and things). Put in pot with filtered water; you can also deglaze the roasting pan with a little wine if you want for a nice touch and add that, too. Boil on lowest boil 24-72 hours (I go at least 36). Strain, reduce, strain again.<br><br>
Vegetable--this is probably not as NT friendly, as I don't separate out things high in oxcalic acid, etc, but this is what I do. I save all of my vegetabe trimmings and things in the fridge that are too bad to eat but not totally gone yet. I keep them in a gallon size ziploc in the freezer. When it's full, I toss it all into a pot of filtered water with some celtic sea salt (not too much, but it helps to extract the minerals from the veggies) and simmer for a few hours. Strain, reduce, strain, freeze. My stock often comes out bitter because we eat alot of greens and carrots and green stems can cause bitter stock. Things like sweet potato peelings and winter squash rinds can sweeten it up a bit. I made a stock once that had a bunch of pumpkin rind in it and it was yummer!<br><br>
Cooking with stock instead of water is such a great way to get extra minerals into your food and it adds so much flavor. I love to cook, and I have been shocked by how much better tasting my meals are since I started making my own stock. I use some almost every day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts