Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dd is 2. We have lived in this house her whole life but are moving in about 6 weeks. We are currently renting and are buying our own home. We plan on staying in the new place for much longer, but I dont think my dd gets the concept of moving. I keep talking about it and driving by the new place and telling her, but she is pretty non verbal so she cant ask many questions. Any tips for making the transition as easy as possible?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Most of my advice centers on preparing her to say goodbye to the current house and work through the sadness/missing her old home.<br><br>
Take pictures of the old house, especially the room/s where she spent the most time (preferably pics w/ her in them). Then, when you're in the new house, whenever she wants to "visit" her old home, she can just look at the photo album. You can also have a farewell party for the house (friends/fam if it's a long distance move). Tell her what's going on while everything is being packed up. Just narrate/explain matter-of-factly. Chances are that if you're not upset about it, she won't be either. Before you actually leave, walk through the empty house and say goodbye to the rooms with her.<br><br>
If you're driving by the new place already, it seems you aren't going that far away, so will she still be seeing her friends/family? That'll make it a lot easier!<br><br>
It also depends on her temperament. My DS was 21 mos when we moved out of state, but I knew as long as Mommy and Daddy were there, he wouldn't care where we were living, so I didn't have to worry about that. I kept out some of his favorite toys and books (and lots of little activities for the 9 hr drive), and everything else had to go into storage. It worked out. We had to stay in an apartment for 8 months before we got into our new home, and although he was more clingy (always has been, though) in the apartment, I didn't notice any other regressions. Two weeks after moving into our new home, he was hardly ever in my arms--too busy playing with his old toys and enjoying running all over the bigger house.<br><br>
You can also check out some age-appropriate books from the library about moving to start reading with her now.<br><br>
HTH!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts