Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to start travelling. I'm going for a couple of job interviews next month. These are not trips I can cancel or postpone if we want to have any income next year.

My daughter will be just about 15 months old 2.5 weeks from now when I have to go out of town for 2.5 days (including 2 nights). The following week I have to leave again for 2 nights.

My husband is a SAHD, so he is quite comfortable caring for Karen during the day. However, Karen still wakes 4-6 times a night and needs a decent meal from me at least twice during the night. My husband can take her for 3-4 hours at a time each night between nursings.

Is there something I can do to help my absence go smoothly? I'm most concerned about Karen being hungry at night. Friends will come by during the day to take Karen to the park and let Phil nap if need be. Any advice on other things I can arrange to give Phil time off?

I have considered night weaning using the Dr Gordon method. However, I'm concerned that night weaning and then my absence for a few days will be too much for her to handle in too little time. We're also seening a new molar cutting through... Should I go ahead and night wean anyways? Bad idea?

Any advice would be most welcome.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Not that i'm an expert or anything, but if i was you I wouldnt completely night ween. Too many transitions at one time could be more than she's ready for. I would however gradually try to cut back at night over the next 2 weeks. And who knows, maybe if your not there to "nurse on" she'll ween herself. I think babe's at this age often nurse at night just because youre there, they wake up, and it just seems like the thing to do to soothe back to sleep. I would also try to have dh and friends keep her as busy as possible--it seems like when my boys are busy they have less time to think about missing me. And dont forget to bring her something cool back
When my dh is gone the boys get all excited cause they know that he's going to bring some cool toy back for them(usually something stupid i wouldnt normally let them have
: but if it keeps them from being sad then what the heck). HTH

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
A 15 mo is still a baby. Why rush night-weaning, if you are just going to be gone temporarily?

If she is really hungry/thirsty in the night when you are gone, why can't dh just give her something to eat or drink? I assume she is haivng some table foods by now?

Can you pump now so there will be breastmilk for her to drink in the night?

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may seem weird, but I'm almost more concerned about my husband's ability to cope. I'm sure Karen will be fine, but if Phil is dealing with her 24 hours a day because she won't let him sleep all night, I think he'll pop.

Yes, Karen eats some solids. However, it's a very limited amount, but enough that I'm not super-worried about her nutritian for a 2-day absence. She has almost completely reverse-cycled her eating.

The freezer is full of breastmilk so no worry there. I figure we have 100 oz. Over the summer, she started taking less and less of what I was pumping at work, so for a while there I was stashing 10 oz a day. When I decided to wean myself from the pump it took 3 weeks to get to the point I didn't have to pump to make it through the day. I donated a lot to a baby in the area, but I've held back some knowing I'd be traveling.

Anyways, Karen takes her time while nursing at night, and while getting the food from a bottle or sippy might not cut it for her. I know they'll cope and it's only temporary, but I want it to go as smoothly as possible.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have considered that, but it simply won't work. One of the trips is to a national lab and dh doesn't have security clearance and they won't let someone under 18 there anyways. For the second trip, it could be an option but the costs are prohibitive -- $600 plane ticket is the cheapest I can find! We used all our frequent flier miles to take them along the last time I had to travel for a conference (Paris!). It worked pretty well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.