Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are making our babyfood ourselves, as i like to know exactly what my little ones are eating. The problem is that we don't have a freezer, so i usually make it in the morning to last 2 days. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to preserve it for longer. is it okay to "can" babyfood? if i put it in jars & boil them ? Please help!

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
I'm sure you can can babyfood, but you'll have to look up the times required for various stuff. Most of the fruits could probably just be water bathed, but I'd think you'd want/need a pressure canner for canning any of the veggies due to botulism risks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. the problem is that wedon't really have any money to spend on equipment,so i need to find a solution that works with what i have at home. i have a sterilizing thing we use for steaming veggies, & we can obviously boil things. :/

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
You would need a pressure canner to can pretty much anything you would be making babyfood out of. The only things that can be canned in boiling water are highly acidic - like tomatoes, pickles, etc.

I made my own baby food and froze it in ice cube trays, but months later I still have a bunch in the freezer. My babe has always been much more interested in feeding herself, so we just gave her finger foods pretty early on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I didn't know there were refrigerators without freezers! Canning would not be as nutritious as fresh...have you looked in to getting a cheap freezer or refrigerator with a freezer from craigslist or your newspaper classifieds? It would probably save you money in the long run, as you can get things in season and on sale, grow your own food and store it, etc., plus you don't need to travel to the store as often, which cuts down on gas and/or bus money. Buying baby food is terribly expensive, so it would definitely save you money instantly to make it yourself!

You could make an effort to make foods for the whole family that the baby can have in pureed form, which would be sort of a pain, but they don't eat baby food for all that long anyhow, so it wouldn't be for forever.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I would probably stop purees altogether and just let the baby self feed soft chunks of whatever we were eating. It's much easier on everybody.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I think "making baby food" is pretty over rated. Spoon feeding is a pain in the butt. Give them finger foods - they can eat loads of stuff even without a lot of teeth. Mash up some things if you must... serve stuff that doesn't need mashed in the first place (ie oatmeal) ... but there's no real need to make a ton of pureee and store it in any way. Mine pretty much eat all "real" food but I don't store anything beyond putting it in the fridge if they don't eat it.

I can't even imagine going to the effort of making it and canning it myself.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I don't think canning it would be safe. First of all, you're going to see a major reduction in the more delicate vitamins and antioxidants by canning, or even just by boiling. Secondly, any food that's not high in acid (high-acid fruits, tomatoes with lemon juice or citric acid added, pickles, sauces like ketchup) or sugar (jams and jellies) MUST be pressure-canned in jars with self-sealing lids bought new, according to the latest instructions. You run the risk of botulism otherwise. Botulism is a neuro-toxin and even impossibly tiny quantities of it can kill very quickly. It is odorless and colorless. I wouldn't run the risk. Make it fresh every day or two, or buy a freezer, or just do without baby food like a lot of us here did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.