Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to this forum, and I have a question.<br><br>
I am expecting my first baby in June. I have three cats I adore, and I want to do everything possible to prevent my baby from developing an allergy to them. I plan to breastfeed for the first two years, which I know will help. I also plan for the baby's room to be a cat-free zone and keep an air purifier running in there.<br><br>
Are those good things to do to prevent my baby from developing an allergy? (I know breastfeeding is, but what about the other things?) Is there anything else I should plan to do?<br><br>
Allergy testing has revealed that I have an allergy to cats, but it is so mild that it's virtually nonexistent, and I have never noticed any reaction in myself. I think the fact that I have constantly lived around cats since I was a kid has helped keep it in check. My mom has a moderate allergy to cats. I understand that a family history of allergies make a baby more susceptible, so I want to do everything I can to prevent it.<br><br>
Having to part with my kitties is absolutely unthinkable to me.<br><br>
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Breastfeed and dont oversanitize your house. There are some studies that suggest that lack of germ exposure can cause allergies. Consider vaccinating on a delayed schedule or not at all. I believe that too many vaccines too soon can cause allergies as well. Exclusively BF for at least 6 months. Probiotics are also good for the immune system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts