Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How am I supposed to do that? On my birth supply list it says at least 2 extra pillows protected in plastic.

Would I just tape a trash bag around them? Cling wrap would be too thin I think. I'm wondering, especially since we have so many different sizes...

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
My guess is that those are for under you or between your legs to help with some birthing positions. I'd actually just go to Target and pick up a couple cheap pillows. Okay, really, in my case, I'd just use a couple of the older pillows that we haven't used in years and I wouldn't mind throwing out if they didn't survive the washing machine afterwards. You'd be suprised how well the typical pillow washes--just put a couple clean tennis balls in the drier with them or shake them out every hour or so if they're on the line.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I'd can the plastic and just treat myself to two pillows I can bleed on and throw away.

In my HB, my pillows were fine, and even the sheets that got bled on came clean (and the little spot that remains is a souvenir of our journey I see every time I make the bed!)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would think they meant to buy the plastic pillow protectors. In reality they probaby cost as much or more than a new cheap pillow. I am pretty sure we didn't ruin any pillows at any of my 3 homebirths.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
They (likely) mean just covering the pillows with trash bags (and then with a pillow case.) Very easy to do, and doesn't send much extra into a landfill (like the disposable pillow idea) though the plastic sound might bother you. you never know, you might end up sitting on the or something. It's more likely that the extra pillows will get birth juice (amniotic fluid, vaginal fluid, blood, feces, etc) than the rest of your bedding would ('cause you can't carry it around with ya.)

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7kiddosmom
I would think they meant to buy the plastic pillow protectors. In reality they probaby cost as much or more than a new cheap pillow. I am pretty sure we didn't ruin any pillows at any of my 3 homebirths.
That's crazy, we don't have any standard size queen pillows

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I'm so glad I read this! I assumed I would wrap the pillows in garbage bags and put the pillow case over the,, but I MUCH prefer the ideas of possibly ruining my junky pillows and getting to buy new ones

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've only done that if mom wants to throw a pillow over the edge of the birth tub to keep it from getting sogging. A trash bag and masking tape does fine, but the dollar stores usually have zippered vinyl covers, 2 for a dollar.
If your pillows are those expensive, down filled kind, you might want to protect them, or not use them at all, but ordinary pillows wash fine, and I have very rarely seen pillows get that messy and you probably won't be lying on the bed anyway.
Don't worry about it until the need arises, and if it does let your attendants worry about it.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilie
never ruined pillows with my hb.... i agree- buy some cheap onesa.....
same here..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts