Registered
750 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unreal
I
I need
How to SURVIVE Your Spirited Child

How about a reality TV show? "Survivor: Parenting."

I often take it one day at a time. I have to or I'd go crazy.

Hang in there. The bad days are bad, but the good days (or moments) are THE BEST.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
it seemed like a label
I think the book, if anything, helps make sure you don't label the kiddos in a negative way.

It is about learning to accept your kids as they are--with all their many strengths and challenges.
How they are is how they are and how they will be. How we view them is up to us...what tools we give them is up to us....how we encourage them is up to us....

kwim?

but man...
there are days when I *KNOW* his independence is going to be a huge asset when he is older
and I *KNOW* his energy and drive and determination are going to lead him to great things in life
but there are days when I have to find a way to get through the day/hour---never mind the next howevermany years!

We're off to get boo's hearing tested tonight. He is behind on the speech spectrum, which frustrates him (even with sign, which did help a ton!). If we can do more to help him with that, I think it will make a big difference.

I hope.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm in that camp too --- surviving my spirited child. I'm utterly confident he is going to be one incredible adult, full of energy, love of life and boundless energy and intelligence. And I will be so proud of him and see his qualities that drive me nuts be great in his adult life ... if I live that long! LOL.

I do have a friend who had kids like DS but she is "spirited" herself and an incredible person so it was a lot easier for her I think. It is when the personality mismatch is there that is so hard.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryoko
What is their description of 'spirited', just out of curiousity?
I don't have the book in front of me...but basically they say a normal kid who is just *more*

more energetic, more sensitive, more passionate, more independent....

you know how other kids have tantrums and the parents can just pick them up and carry on with life, knowing it will end as soon as they are distracted?
Not so with my little guy. When he flips, he flips until he either gets his way or you find some way to compromise (at least what he percieves as a compromise).
The best solution is to not let him get to the point where he flips

but my gawd
there are times we feel like we are living in that Twilight Zone episode where everyone has to tiptoe around the kids giving him everything he wants because he can make them disapear or change them.....

gotta go..more thoughts later

glad I'm not the only one tho
thanks mamas

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
If you have any tips, let me know.

DS was spirited...I had friends say that their two kids together had less energy and drive than ds did. I did okay - had enough energy (barely) to keep up with him and have fun with him and all that. And, he's turning out to be a really great kid (he's 12).

I tried for a long time to have another child, and finally had dd in May, 2003. And, guess what...she makes ds look like he was in a coma!! And, I'm 37 now...not 25. I know I'll survive, but...hitting my head against a wall seems like a reasonable coping strategy sometimes..

I just hope baby-under-construction isn't going to follow the trend, and be even more...all of it...than dd...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts