Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another question...I want to start adding flax seed oil to my family's diet - it's high in Omegas - and I think it would be great to add...but which one do I choose? there's flax seeds, ground flax seed, flax seed oil...and then with the oils, there are pure ones, flavored ones...which ones do I use? And, then after I find one to use, how do I use it? Can I cook it into food? Or does it have to be taken raw...put it on salads? HOw much? or just take it orally? again, how much? THis is for our whole family, kids and all.

THanks!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
cold processed oils, or ground seeds. use it in salads, or hide some in orange juice (but only a little or one can taste it). I don't really like the taste. I add the ground seeds to my cereal.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
smoothies or oatmeal would work.
But IMO the healthiest form of flax is milled flax seeds (not oil, not ground), sprinkled or mixed into any dish after cooking/preparation is done usually.

·
Registered
788 Posts
For oils, mix it into a drink or smoothie in a blender - the oil will emulsify so you don't taste it at all; elminates the greasy feel that comes w/ just stirring it into a drink too. (doing it that way I'd suggest the kind w/out flavor added. Why bother w/ the extra additives and whatever negative effect they may have if you don't taste it anyway. For giving it straight to kids though flavored is good.) (we have cherry cod liver oil for DS, 2, and he loves the stuff, just straight. )

We keep a bag of flax meal in the fridge and add a little bit to oatmeal, yogurt, soups, etc. through the day. No set amounts, but I try to include more on days when DS has had something fried or greasy. (it's supposed to be good for removing the bad cholesterols). Not sure that's the "best" way but it's convenient and works well enough for us. The flax meal is great for thickening runny foods, which makes it easier for DS to feed himself.
:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by veganf View Post
smoothies or oatmeal would work.
But IMO the healthiest form of flax is milled flax seeds (not oil, not ground), sprinkled or mixed into any dish after cooking/preparation is done usually.
What's the difference between milled and ground flax seeds?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
What's the difference between milled and ground flax seeds?
Ground flax seeds are crushed, milled flax seeds are very thinly sliced. Grinding them exposes them to heat from the friction, damaging the beneficial oils supposedly.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i also use the oil in salad dressing. for the majority of the dressing i use olive oil, but will replace a tablespoon or two of olive oil with flaxseed oil.

and while it's not the best source for flax, i always keep flax meal in the house and i throw it in all sorts of things, in many of the same ways you might use wheat germ or oat bran.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Ground flax seeds are crushed, milled flax seeds are very thinly sliced. Grinding them exposes them to heat from the friction, damaging the beneficial oils supposedly.
Oh, see I had heard different- that as soon as you "open" a flax seed, it starts oxidizing, although refrigeration slows the process.. So therefore buying whole seeds and grinding them right before you use them ensured the healthiest intake..

hmm..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.