Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is throwing up and can't keep down anything, including water. She's nursing a 4mo. old. Any tips on staying hydrated? She's worried about her milk supply suffering. Thanks, for any help!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hugs to your sister, that is horrible!<br><br>
Water can be very hard to keep down with a stomach virus. I'd try a drink with electrolytes in it - you can get them at the health food store, or you can try Vitamin Water or even Gatorade if you can't find anything else. Small sips at a time to fool her body into accepting it.<br><br>
The lack of water might cause a dip in her milk supply, but she should be able to regain that once she can stay hydrated. It might take a few days, but it will come back.<br><br>
She should keep nursing. Her body will take what it needs for the milk, and the antibodies the baby gets from the milk will help prevent him getting infected too.<br><br>
Since she is nursing, she needs to watch out for dehydration. She may need to see a Doc to get some meds to stop her from puking and / or get hydrated with an IV.<br><br>
A lot depends on how long she has been puking for - if it has been just a day, she's probably still OK. If it has been days, then she needs to be careful about dehydration.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I agree with pp. Even suggest freezing gatorade or juice to suck on if she can tolerate it.<br><br>
Hope she's feeling better soon!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
i have had to suck on ice chips i bet electrolyte drink ice chips would be better than just water

1 - 4 of 4 Posts