Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am nursing, but making very little milk, and although Ive had 7pp cycles, Im pretty sure I havent been ovulating (no temp change, no clear cm signs, no O pains). Is there anything natural I can take to stimulate ovulation? Vitex? (Ive heard about it, but dont know if its meant to stim O)

TIA

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Were you wanting to stimulate ovulation so you can try again?
I take Vitex (Chaste Tree Berry) and it works well to even out your cycles - though I'm not sure there is a way to cause your body to produce/mature and release an egg when it is not ready.

Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can try soy isoflavones. You take it CD 3-7. It has been shown to work in getting the O process going.

Basically it suppresses estrogen which in turn stimulates the brain to produce more FSH. When your ovaries start to produce follicles and they grow, estrogen production will pick up again. Soy Isoflavones work in much the same way as Clomid but it's a more natural approach. It doesn't work for everyone but it does work for a lot of women! It's worth a try anyway....it won't hurt you

Start with a small dose...50 - 100mg 1x a day. If that doesn't work, you can try and increase the dose for the next cycle.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm considering trying soy as well. I'm trying to work out what herbs will be best for my body. I don't want to make things worse! I've got about a week to decide. The things that I'm considering:

Vitex - balances out various hormone levels. This might be good if you suspect lactational amennorhea because it reduces prolactin levels. However, it takes 3 months to work.

Black Cohosh - used by menopausal women to even out symptoms; might stimulate ovulation for a not-menopausal woman.

Cinnamon - apparently good for lowering blood sugar levels, relevant because I've been dx with PCOS.

Soy - works like Clomid - you take it in pill form for 5 days of your cycle. My doctor said days 5-9 but I imagine 3-7 would work too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,

Your welcome
Yeah, I personally would take it in pill form. I've never actually tried it but I almost bought some once. I found it on Vitamin Shoppe website and drugstore.com too I think. All of their soy iso flavones varieties came in pill form.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started taking the vitex and soy isoflavones. I started the soy yesterday (day 5) but am not sure how much to take. How many mgs? The bottle says 1-3capsules per day, but how much would you recommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
hi guys I was trying to find info about vitex/isoflavones so hopefully I am in the right place....I'm in Canada more specially Quebec and the only Vitex anything that I was able to find was one for "pms" symptoms and is combined with isoflavones, will this help me get my cycles back more quickly after weaning, it's been 8weeks and I'm only spotting...can anyone confirm??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.