Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make the best decision for DD, who starts kindergarten next year (she'll be six weeks shy of 5.5 years.) She's had two years of preschool, which have been INCREDIBLE for her - everything I'd hoped. Currently, she attends preschool 5 mornings a week, and stays until 2:30 one day a week. She LOVES the days she stays for lunch, and is dead-set on attending kindergarten all day.<br><br>
My problem is that I've always envisioned her attending AM kindergarten. There's also the issue that in our district, we have to pay $3600 for *public* all-day kindergarten, which doesn't thrill me. She still takes a nap most days, but is getting more reluctant about that all the time. It's possible that in another 7 months, she could live without a nap.<br><br>
She has several girlfriends who are going to the same school. I need to find out if they're going 1/2 or full days, so she can possibly be in the same class with kids she already knows.<br><br>
Anyway, I'm just wondering how you mamas decide between 1/2 or full-day kindergarten?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I asked DD's preschool teacher what she thought. DD#1 won't be five until October which is before the cut-off here. We're one of I think 4 states that would allow her to go to kindy so it's something we wondered if we should hold her back or what. Her preschool teacher felt fine with her going to the half day program but didn't think the all day one (which is a lottery here anyway) was a good idea for her at this point. And to be clear this is an actual preschool teacher (certified etc) not a daycare teacher. I'm not sure if she's in a preschool or a daycare but I would ask her teacher if you want a little input plus definitely find out what the other girls are doing since that might help get her onboard if they're doing half-days.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts