Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am almost 8 weeks along now, and dh and I are starting to talk about how to tell our 3 yr old dd about the baby.  We want to wait a few more weeks before telling her, but we figure we'll tell family around Christmas, and we'll need to tell dd first.  Any advice on how to break the news to the little one?  Any good books on the topic too?</p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
184 Posts
<p>We're in the same situation, except I'm only 5w5d right now.  We plan on telling our 3yo DD right before we tell family (so Christmas Eve).  I've bought her 2 "Big Sister" t-shirts and ordered the book "God Gave Us Two".  <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FGod-Gave-Lisa-Tawn-Bergren%2Fdp%2F1578565073" rel="norewrite" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/God-Gave-Lisa-Tawn-Bergren/dp/1578565073</a>  My plan is to give her the gifts and then to tell her.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not worried about her reaction, she'll be excited as she's been asking for a "baby sister" for a few months now!  She's even told people that I had a baby in my tummy before I was even pregnant!  We've also talked about having another baby someday, so it won't be a complete surprise.</p>

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
<p>my son is 3. he has just turned 3 right around when i got my positive test result. i told him and my husband at the same time and it really has been a non issue. he hadn't been asking for a sibling though and while he knows what babies are not sure he grasps what siblings are :) he has friends who are brothers but i think he has never made the connection that it means they share a mama and papa. but i have told him i am growing a baby and that in the summer when the baby is big enough it will be born. we do sometimes talk about what changes will happen. he is happy to share "milkies" with the baby and today he said the baby could have clothes he has outgrown. really he has taken it all pretty calmly and happily. he doesn't talk about it or bring it up much either so i have no worried he will tell people before i am ready for them to know.</p>

·
Registered
742 Posts
<p>Told DD 6.5 years and DS 2.5 years together on Chanukah.  They opened baby themed books.  DD was super excited.  DS does not get it in the slightest but enjoyed opening and reading the books.  When pregnant (had a miscarriage) and DD was 3 years she sort of got it.  I would have told DS before the family even if he didn't have an older sister because it was important to me that both children hear it directly from us, even though I predicted that DS wouldn't have a clue.</p>

·
Registered
556 Posts
<p>My boys are 13 months and I was teaching one of them to rub my belly ... it's pretty cute!  Until he does it to someone who's not pregnant! lol</p>

·
Registered
463 Posts
<p>DD is 29 months, and I just mention it in some way pretty much every day.  She doesn't "get" it at all, but I'm hoping it normalizes the idea of mommy carrying a baby, and a baby on its way.  </p>

·
Registered
325 Posts
<p>We told our kids (DD 6.5 and DS almost 3) really soon. We pretty much said we think mommy has a baby in her belly but we will have the doctor check to say if it was for real. Then we took them to the appointment and we also told them that we had a few babies in our belly that did not grow to be big enough to be born. They also know about Jake dying and kids can take anything in life so much better than us.</p>
<p>Isabel tells me that she would love a sister but knows God ultimately decides (we are not a religious family, so kids have their own ideas). I showed both of them some youtube videos of an egg implanting and growing into a tiny baby. I think it made it much more real for both of them!</p>

Reactions: javilu

·
Registered
672 Posts
<p>DS is 3 & we've been talking about babies a lot.  He really loves babies & is crazy about his babydoll.  A friend recommended the Dr Sears book on the subject, which I'm sure will be great b/c I love the Sears books in general.  I think we'll tell him soon, but I don't know that he can grasp that a baby will be coming next July...that's a long way away.</p>

·
Registered
742 Posts
<p>We've got two Sears books for kids.  One is before the baby's birth and the other is after.  I enjoy reading them both with my kids.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts