Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have we had a thread like this yet? A quick search didn't reveal anything, so I'm posting it.

What are your tips for testing negative on the group B strep test? I was positive with dd and had to get the antibiotics at the hospital, but I'm birthing at a birth center this time and hoping to test negative and have no iv's at all. And I'm especially concerned about having a fast labor and not having time for both doses, and the birth center transferring my baby to the hospital per state regulations.

Right now I'm trying to take in as many probiotics as I can, such as yogurt, milk kefir in smoothies, and I'm trying to ferment my first batch of kefir water right now.

I would love to hear what has worked for you or what you're doing.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I tested negative the other two times, but of course that means nothing. I've just been using tea tree oil and hibiclens. No idea if that will help. Oh, and I've been taking probiotics but they have probably been in my freezer for too long! I'm wondering if we test positive at 36 weeks if they'd do a retest at maybe 38 weeks? It seems like such a crap shoot anyway....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a crap shoot! And that's what's so annoying about it.

With dd I tested positive at 36 wks, but my MW wouldn't retest at 38 or 40 wks because she said they (meaning her practice, which was one with OB's) have to go with whatever happens at 36 wks. Which is just dumb, in my opinion, because my status could have changed several times between 36 wks and birth.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I tested positive the first time and had IV antibiotics in labor. I didn't do anything to prepare for the test or to improve my vaginal/lower GI flora.

For my first homebirth, I tested negative, but I had been taking probiotics for weeks before.

This time, I am declining testing altogether and doing a daily supplements regimen, including garlic, probiotics (8 billion/dose), vitamin C, and echinacea. If my membranes have been released for a long time in labor, I would also consider a Hibiclens douche if my midwife thought it was appropriate. Of course, we'll also watch the baby for signs of infection, which is wise no matter where you've birthed or what kinds of abx you did or didn't take.

It's a tough issue.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I was negative last time, but my MW at the time did say that if it was positive she recommended using raw garlic for 8 days then retesting, as according to her experience raw garlic got rid of most cases of GBS.

I don't think I'll even bother with testing this time, because if I do have to transfer it'll end up as a c/s and at least 4 days in the hospital.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
You could always just refuse the test and then the antibitotics during labor if you wanted to. That's what I did during my last pregnancy/birth, but I don't think that would fly with a birth center.

This time I do frequent baths with vinegar in the water, garlic cloves inserted vaginally, and hibiclens wash/douch. I'm bringing hibiclens with me to the doctor and going to wash with it in the bathroom on the day of the test. I also orally take a ton of probiotics, garlic, vitamin C, and echinacea.

Probably overkill, but I have had some bad GBS experiences and I don't feel like dealing with it this time. I also am not in a position this time where I can just refuse the test and the antibiotics. I have to play by the rules, so I'm giving myself the best chance of success possible.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4495718_prevent-positive-group-b-strep.html

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethrw View Post

It is a crap shoot! And that's what's so annoying about it.

With dd I tested positive at 36 wks, but my MW wouldn't retest at 38 or 40 wks because she said they (meaning her practice, which was one with OB's) have to go with whatever happens at 36 wks. Which is just dumb, in my opinion, because my status could have changed several times between 36 wks and birth.
Oh that's annoying they won't retest.

I'm going into this just doing my normal routine. I might try eating some more yogurt the week before the test, and taking probiotics. If I test positive, I'll get hardcore and do the hibiclens.

When I brought it up with my mw, she said even if I do test positive, it's completely up to me what I want to do - retest or not. I thought that was cool. I figure I'll retest.

It gets muddy when I start thinking about the hospital, I'm not sure what their protocol is if I have a positive result on file. I don't want abx in labor unless waters have been broken and/or I'm showing signs of fever.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My midwife also recommends the garlic protocol. Peel a raw clove, poke it with your fingernail a bit, put it in your vagina overnight and fish it out in the morning. Do this for 5-7 days and voila...GBS gone. I just had the test this week, but we have to redo it because the lab gave her the wrong swab thing. If it comes back positive, I'll do the garlic thing and then test again.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I really really hate this test. And for me it is so not needed since I have c-sections anyway. With my last one we had this conversation:

Me: Do I have to have the GBS test since I'm having a csection?

Nurse: yes because if you go into labor before your scheduled csection you'll need antibiotics.

Me: But if I go into labor on my own, I'll come to the hospital and have a section.

Nurse: But if you test positive and don't make it, you'll need antibiotics.

Me: If I don't make it to the hospital?

Nurse: Yes.

Me: Then where would I get the antibiotics?

Nurse:
headscratch.gif

Then later my OB told me that they give antibiotics in the IV when you have a section at that hospital I was at anyway, so I really didn't get the point. We are delievering at a different hospital this time, so we'll see what their policy is. I seriously see the same conversation happening again here soon though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

Do you insert the garlic? I have done this before for yeast infections, but I swear....this time since everything is so swollen and my belly is so big, I'm afraid I'll lose the garlic!!
I've read that some ladies attach it to a string/thread etc which makes it easier to remove and not get lost up there

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used probiotics during both pregnancies and have been negative, so I am giving them the credit. But I know that some women are just more prone to GBS than others. In my hospital you can refuse the test but then they "have" to treat you as though you're positive, and if you refuse the antibiotics then they require extra watches on the baby; since I want to leave after 4-6 hours I didn't want to risk that so I took the test and kept my fingers crossed. And the probiotics gave me some peace of mind.

I would totally use garlic too. Except that the week before the test I discovered we didn't have any and I get forgetting to go buy some. I like garlic gloves (like for yeast).

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I want to try the tampon soaked in 2% tea tree oil and 98% olive oil. Problem is that I suck at math and numbers and can't figure out how to actually mix it up so that I can soak the tampon. I need actual amounts, not percentages. Anyone know to figure that out? I don't want to use too much or too little tea tree oil...I'm guessing that too much could burn or something?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I took a probiotic supplement daily in my first pregnancy and tested negative. I haven't decided if I'll test this time or not. It wouldn't change the status of my homebirth one way or the other, so we'll see I guess?

From what I understand, pro-biotic rich foods are great, but they take a long time, and most often you're not getting enough of the probiotics. They're more beneficial from a digestive standpoint, but would take quite a number of months to have the same effect as the probiotic pills would.

I'm guessing you could also take GSE (grapefruit seed extract) for a week before the test, in addition to garlic, if you're worried about passing. 20 drops in a gelcap (you're not going to swallow it without, believe me), 3x daily, acts as a natural anti-biotic. But it could also help to fight any GBS infection going on, I'd imagine.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My MW's herbal protocol for GBS includes GSE, but I told her I didn't think I could do that part because it's so crazy bitter! I might be able to handle it in a gel cap though----great idea!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've always done GSE in some OJ to mask the bitterness a little, maybe I'll start taking it again! I'm doing Vit C and probiotics to help fight the GBS, but my situation is a little different. I tested negative with DD, but then she was infected at birth. Because of that I'm not even being tested this time (wouldn't believe the results anyway!) and just being treated.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've tested negative 3 out of 3 times, but this is the only time I took any preventative measures since this time my status is important to me as I do not want to spend any extra time hooked up to an iv. I did hibiclens a few days before the test plus TTO and took probiotics as well.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I do not understand why people insist on using Hibeclens. fyou read the label, it clearly state not to use on mucous membrane. Guess what the vagina is covered with?

It is harsh chemical that distrips PH of the vagina. What is the best way to get infection or bacterial vaginosis? The best way to to disrupt the Ph of the vagina.

Furthermore, very good studies have been done on Hibeclens and CBS . Reserchers hoped it would be cheap and easy method of preventing infection in newborn in Third World Countries with problematic IV access. Sadly, it did not prove effective.

I can't believe that any MW who calls herself a professional care provider would advice her clients to do something like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

I tested positive the first time and had IV antibiotics in labor. I didn't do anything to prepare for the test or to improve my vaginal/lower GI flora.

For my first homebirth, I tested negative, but I had been taking probiotics for weeks before.

This time, I am declining testing altogether and doing a daily supplements regimen, including garlic, probiotics (8 billion/dose), vitamin C, and echinacea. If my membranes have been released for a long time in labor, I would also consider a Hibiclens douche if my midwife thought it was appropriate. Of course, we'll also watch the baby for signs of infection, which is wise no matter where you've birthed or what kinds of abx you did or didn't take.

It's a tough issue.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.